RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to need a good all season tire soon (all 4) and was curious as to what some of you are using?

I have the 21" wheels btw.

I have goodyears on the truck now but they won't last much longer.

I'm in Oregon, so it would be good in wet weather some light snow, and then good for summer driving as well.

Thanks in advance for your advice. Happy holidays everyone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the trigger on the 275/45R-21 PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON XL. It will be about 2 month before I get them installed though, I have about 4k miles left on my Goodyears. There was a special on the Pirelli's so I figured I'd take advantage of it before they ran out.

I'll report back after installation and a few thousand miles on them.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts
Brew,

Please keep us updated. I need to pull the trigger in the spring and have the same needs. Thanks, in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brew,

Please keep us updated. I need to pull the trigger in the spring and have the same needs. Thanks, in advance.

Steve
Will do Steve.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting them installed tomorrow, I couldn't wait just having them sitting in the garage looking lonely. Plus the Goodyears are just close the wear line. As much as I want to wait another 4-5k miles I just thinking getting them on now is better since we're still in the winter rainy season, and if we get any snow those Goodyears just won't work. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the Pirelli's on our 16 RRS TD6, they were great when new but developed rather load road noise at about 30k miles. ThIere was plenty of tread left but I replaced them because I wasn't happy with that noise. Running the Bridgestone Alenza HL Plus now, have about 6k on them and so far so good.

FWIW I know others running those Pirellis on other vehicles and have been very happy with them, perhaps I just got a couple bad tires or I should have had them balanced more frequently.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had the same tires installed after 42K miles on the original Goodyears (I think). They were pretty worn out by now (great for summer freeway driving) and with our winter conditions here in Northern Idaho (I live on unpaved, unplowed roads, with lots of snow and ice) I need good tires. I am happy with the Pirellis. One thing I was surprised was how much worse my mileage changed with the new tires. Regardless of how accurate the mileage indicator is my average mileage went from ~25 to ~21 mpg.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that information, hopefully I'll get lucky with these. I had them on my 740Li and they seemed to hold up nicely, probably had about 15k miles on them when I sold the car. They were still quiet and had lots of tread left, they were staggered though so I wasn't able to rotate them. Since the RR uses all the same size I should be able to rotate them every 5k miles prolonging their life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm. When I asked about rotating the tires on my RR the service people told me it is not recomended as the wheels on RR are mounted slanted out. ???

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never heard of that, I will ask when I pick up my car today.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to provide an update, had the tires installed yesterday and to my surprise they installed them for free. They also performed a software update on the driver seat while there. They knew I purchased the car a few weeks ago and he said he couldn't in his conscious charge me because the previous ones really should have been replaced. First impressions are they are really smooth, quiet, and didn't notice any hydro-planing when driving through puddles.

In short, I'm very happy with them.

IMG_1132.JPG IMG_1133.JPG

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the same Pirelli's as you @localbrew and they've been great so far. I live in a similar climate too.

I would have loved to buy a set of Bridgestone Dueler tires but they don't make them for 21" wheels! I've owned two sets of Dueler's in the past and put over 80,000 miles on each set. They're the best all season for an SUV in my opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the Bridgestone Duelers on my 2010 L332; I have to agree with you Onyx, they were great tires, quiet and held the road well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have had Continentals, Pirelli, Goodyear, Yokohama, Firestone, and recently Bridgestones.

I have taken Yokohama and Firestone offroading a bit and no problem. They also ride nice and last about 25-30K
Top 3 tires in my opinion.
#1 Bridgestone DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS (15K so far on LR4, no sign of wear)
#2 Yokohama Prada
#3 Firestone Destination ST (discontinued). They replaced it with Destination LE. I can't get more than 20K twice so I have stopped trying this tire

·
Registered
173 Posts
@localbrew, have you had a chance to take the L405 out in the snow with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all-seasons yet? Let us know how you find their performance in the white stuff.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@localbrew, have you had a chance to take the L405 out in the snow with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all-seasons yet? Let us know how you find their performance in the white stuff.
I haven't yet, we did an Oregon coast drive last weekend my wife wanted to take it on the beach (sand), but I said nah....

They perform great in water I can say that much, hopefully getting in some snow in the next 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just did Toronto to Montreal last week in **** weather. The Pirellis are not as good as the Bridgestones (stopping distance is less, back end stepped out once) but good enough to make it through. No problems getting up to speed and keeping there. I also drive with auto terrain response turned off because I don't like the throttle response, so it was in dry road mode the whole time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts