Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2008 RangeRover full size. It has the standard alarm on the car. Anyone know of a great aftermarket security system? Or is there nothing that useful? What about just using the club? Also, anyone use LoJack? Do you think it is worth it to pay for that service? I am in a major city. It is like $600 one time fee.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
The "Standard" alarm system is one of the best and most sophisticated systems fitted to a car.

It has deadlocking, monitors the tyre pressures incase u get slashed, can detect a corner being raised by 5mm in the case of wheel theft. Monitors interior space and can detect shocks and door/bonnet/boot penetration.

I suggest you leave it alone unless you want no end of troubles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan_UK_1984 said:
The "Standard" alarm system is one of the best and most sophisticated systems fitted to a car.

It has deadlocking, monitors the tyre pressures incase u get slashed, can detect a corner being raised by 5mm in the case of wheel theft. Monitors interior space and can detect shocks and door/bonnet/boot penetration.

I suggest you leave it alone unless you want no end of troubles.
Great, that is good to know. The woman at the dealer who tried to get me to purchase the LoJack service told me that the standard Range Rover alarm only monitors forced entry into the door of the vehicle, which will then trigger the horn.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,015 Posts
I am not sure about the Range Rover's alarm system in a MY08, but the North America spec 2006-2009 RRS only came with a perimetric alarm system, no volumetric / motion alarm or tilt sensors. Both options were n/a here (not even as an extra cost option), while standard issue on the Sport in many other countries, including the UK. So, the lady at the dealership - assuming you are based in the US - may not be telling you a story...
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Heck even the lowly :wink: P38 has volumetric capability.
It also had lock after accidental unlock - L322 doesnt and Chirp on unlock - L322 doesnt.

The P38 does a quite a few things better than the L322, but lets not go there :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know of an aftermarket device that you can attach to your vehicle, and if your vehicle is moved it will auto send you a text message or email?

LoJack has that service, but I was wondering if there was anything else that was cheaper. This way when I leave town for more than a week, I could be informed if my vehicle is moved (stolen).

By the way, while on this subject, anyone ever purchase a sophisticated alarm like the Viper alarm? Any ideas? I hate car theft....
 

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
ERangeRover said:
Does anyone know of an aftermarket device that you can attach to your vehicle, and if your vehicle is moved it will auto send you a text message or email?

LoJack has that service, but I was wondering if there was anything else that was cheaper. This way when I leave town for more than a week, I could be informed if my vehicle is moved (stolen).

By the way, while on this subject, anyone ever purchase a sophisticated alarm like the Viper alarm? Any ideas? I hate car theft....

Have you looked into CompuStar with the drone mobile app...

http://www.dronemobile.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FFRR05DUKE said:
ERangeRover said:
Does anyone know of an aftermarket device that you can attach to your vehicle, and if your vehicle is moved it will auto send you a text message or email?

LoJack has that service, but I was wondering if there was anything else that was cheaper. This way when I leave town for more than a week, I could be informed if my vehicle is moved (stolen).

By the way, while on this subject, anyone ever purchase a sophisticated alarm like the Viper alarm? Any ideas? I hate car theft....

Have you looked into CompuStar with the drone mobile app...

http://www.dronemobile.com/
This Drone app looks pretty good. Have you used this service? Or do you know anyone who has? I am researching it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
rrtoadhall said:
Heck even the lowly :wink: P38 has volumetric capability.
It also had lock after accidental unlock - L322 doesnt and Chirp on unlock - L322 doesnt.

The P38 does a quite a few things better than the L322, but lets not go there :(
Hi mate, both the accidental unlock and the chirp on lock/unlock are both features that can be turned on with a diagnostic system, i know this because i have enabled both these features on my l322 range rover.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Once the vehicle is towed away, screaming as it may, it can be disassembled and sold off in pieces, with or without a factory alarm or aftermarket.

depending on the paranoia you want to put up with, lo-jack is only good once you report it stolen. then it is turned on, and hopefully you have a lo-jack police cruiser in the area.

The compustar droid is ok, but has it's own set of glitches that will need to be worked on, most of it will be the service end of it (telecommunications side) you will still need to put a compustar security system on it to get the most out of it. Viper same way, but better than the compustar.

Then you have to look at it $600 vs a $500 deductible (most people)

i have used this in the past and with a geo fence around the vehicle you will be notified via text and email...

http://gpstrackit.com/gps-tracking-prod ... ator-2000/
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,015 Posts
I use a similar service from Navman for my company's vehicle fleet, pretty awesome to find out in real time exactly where your vehicles are, how fast they are going, where they've been, etc. You must be willing to pay a monthly fee. The user interface and amount of real time and historical information provided is just incredible though, I wrote a "review" in the General Chatter forum a while back: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32415&p=250657
 

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
ERangeRover said:
FFRR05DUKE said:
ERangeRover said:
Does anyone know of an aftermarket device that you can attach to your vehicle, and if your vehicle is moved it will auto send you a text message or email?

LoJack has that service, but I was wondering if there was anything else that was cheaper. This way when I leave town for more than a week, I could be informed if my vehicle is moved (stolen).

By the way, while on this subject, anyone ever purchase a sophisticated alarm like the Viper alarm? Any ideas? I hate car theft....

Have you looked into CompuStar with the drone mobile app...

http://www.dronemobile.com/
This Drone app looks pretty good. Have you used this service? Or do you know anyone who has? I am researching it now.
No, I haven't used it but I'm looking into it as well. I plan on getting the CompuStar alarm system first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
umbertob said:
I use a similar service from Navman for my company's vehicle fleet, pretty awesome to find out in real time exactly where your vehicles are, how fast they are going, where they've been, etc. You must be willing to pay a monthly fee. The user interface and amount of real time and historical information provided is just incredible though, I wrote a "review" in the General Chatter forum a while back: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32415&p=250657

yes, it is insane the amount of stuff it does. it shows the whole route you traveled, where you stopped, where you been, including red lights also. I did one for the boss mans daughters vehicle.... 16 year old... he told her there were cameras in the vehicle also :) she got busted on the speed notification doing 70 on the highway which she wasn't supposed to be on.

for subscription, I usually do an all in one package with 3 years of service so it knocks it down considerably
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Esoteric Sound said:
Once the vehicle is towed away, screaming as it may, it can be disassembled and sold off in pieces, with or without a factory alarm or aftermarket.

depending on the paranoia you want to put up with, lo-jack is only good once you report it stolen. then it is turned on, and hopefully you have a lo-jack police cruiser in the area.

The compustar droid is ok, but has it's own set of glitches that will need to be worked on, most of it will be the service end of it (telecommunications side) you will still need to put a compustar security system on it to get the most out of it. Viper same way, but better than the compustar.

Then you have to look at it $600 vs a $500 deductible (most people)

i have used this in the past and with a geo fence around the vehicle you will be notified via text and email...

http://gpstrackit.com/gps-tracking-prod ... ator-2000/
Jim,

Thanks. That company actually sounds great. I just got off the phone with them. Much cheaper. You can set it up for only about $30 per year (plus the $350 for the one-time fee) and you can be notified if your car is moved. If you want a referral, let me know or send me your details. Apparently you get a break.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top