RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! Im brand new to this blog and I only joined because I am facing a very tough decision right now. Let me give you some background:

- The first car I ever had at 16 was a 2004 VW Golf (courtesy of my father). It was awesome-- however, it made me scared of foreign vehicles because once it started to give me problems by 18 (yeah-- Ok and maybe I contributed to that by, like-- NEVER changing the oil) It became sooo pricey! Especially on my Bakers Shoe Store income :? As a punishment for not appreciating my fathers hard earned money-- he made me pay for 60% of the repairs. (I know-- what a jerk!! LOL, JK)

- Anyway by 18 & 1/2 I said-- screw this car, Im getting an American car and I never want to see an effing hatchback again in MY LIFE!! So I put a down payment on a 2009 Cadillac CTS and with my "phlebotomist/I have no children/Thank God my parents don't make me pay rent so long as I maintained my full scholarship at Florida Int'l University" income-- the payments really didn't really bother me much and I LOVE LOVE LOVEEE my caddy :) How-effing-ever, Im getting tired of the maintenance costs for a barely-luxury vehicle as it has hit over 60k miles. I guess its American quality has began showing its true colors.

- So now Im 22, I just made my last car payment on my Cadillac and while saving to purchase my condo before the housing market makes a full recovery I actually wound up OVER saving to buy my condo-- I thought buying a place was really expensive (wow-- seriously though, that's kind of sad the whole foreclosure thing-- but HEY, works for me). So now with my "yay! Im a nurse with my bsn/barely a real mortgage payment/ finally finished paying off my caddy/ still don't have huge responsibilities like children/ who cares, my fiance is an anesthesiologist-- he's gonna end up paying my bills soon anyway" income I want to have a second car that is ACTUALLY a luxury vehicle and I immediately thought-- RANGE ROVERRRRRR. HOW-EFFING-EVER, nobody ever told me a Range Rover HSE costs a similar price to a Bentley Continental GT.

Here is my dilemma: They are both awesome cars, both are in similar price range-- I've gotten excellent feedback on Bentley forums and everyone talks about how reliable the Bentley is and that the yearly maintainence could be$ 2000-$3000 and oil changes$ 200-$300 which HONEST TO GOODNESS -- is not bad considering I spent close to 3000 in maintaining this barely-luxury CTS and, yeah, the oil changes are a little steep but the reliability of the car seems to be nearly unmatched. I have read throughout this forum of the poor reliability of the Range Rover and I remember growing up my dads Range Rover seemed to always have a problem and he eventually conformed and became a Mercedes man and when I asked his opinion he told me he would buy a Yugo before investing in a Range Rover again. He said for a $4000 price difference between a 2006 Bentley Continental with great miles vs a 2010 Range Rover that is a little cheaper, maybe 10k miles less or so that he would get a Bentley.

Even though the Bentley is drop dead gaw-gess, I already have a sedan and I think the Range Rover is sooo sexy... Its like Jennifer Aniston --pretty &perfect, (Bentley) vs Angelina Jolie-- sexy, sensual and you know is good in bed LOL (Range Rover). DESPERATELY Seeking more opinions....

·
Banned
901 Posts
They are both cool cars that are actually surprisingly similar. If you don't have a truck I'd get the 2010 Range Rover Super Charged because thats a perfect storm of awesome, and I'd likely get that over the Bentley, personally.

I mean the Benley is cool I test drove a coupe new when they came out they feel fast they soak up bumps, the nubuck headliner is awesome. There is much more leather and lux in the Bentley, it does have awd and a w12. The Supercharger should make 500 hp but be able to go anywhere. You're often looking down at lifted trucks, the suspension soaks up everything. Its a much bigger, heavier, and more airy experience.

You could also get a Bentley and an old 4.0/4.6 for next to nothing and they are easy to work on. they drive really well, even lifted with bigger tires. I like the 322 better but I was surprised how much it made me appreciate how good the 4.6 was. Or get a 2006 322 and a used 2006 ish XKR which in the last body version became a raw and engaging experience wrapped in a gorgeous luxury package.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts
The real competition for the Bentley is not the HSE. Go test drive a 2008 and 2010 Supercharged and report back.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Comparing a Bentley GT and a Range Rover HSE? They are just so similar it really is a toss up. Judging by your post, buy which ever one that makes you feel more wealthy and/or can be used as a status symbol, that must be all your after seeing as you've expressed no concern or interest in the major differences between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OP--I have but one question for you after attempting to decipher the word salad you call a post. Do you live in Miami and commute to Oxford? Your prose is so illustrious, it would force Hemingway to burn his unpublished manuscripts, Picasso to touch up 'Guernica' using flaming rags doused in petrol, and Tom Wolfe to re-set "Bonfire of the Vanities" at 'Florida International University' or as it's more commonly known, 'The Eton of the Everglades'.

Seriously darling, Continental GTs, Range Rovers? First off, the fact that you're looking at secondhand cars is bad enough. Why don't you and your fiance just buy a full page ad in "I'm Poor" magazine? But the most embarrassing revelation by far isn't the year, make, or model of the vehicles you're contemplating--it's the fact that you actually plan to drive YOURSELF in one of these vehicles. Why don't you buy a nice Hyundai Accent--I hear they're offering 0% financing--whatever that means, and use the savings to hire a chauffeur, like my Coleman. That way, you can bask in the relaxing gusts of lukewarm South Korean air conditioning as your paid driver (let's call him Jeeves. 99% of men named Jeeves have become professional chauffeurs according to Reuters). jumps out to fetch one of those buzzers so you and your husband know when your table at PF Chang's is ready. After all the only thing worse than pulling up at PF Chang's in a 'pre-owned' Bentley would be letting Jefferson & Bianca from the club see you WAITING FOR A TABLE at PF Chang's.

P.S--Isn't the 'Great Wall of Chocolate' simply divine? Unfortunately it won't fit on the picnic tables in the back of my Bentley Arnage.

Best of luck to you in your search!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,960 Posts
^^^^ well done
I think the RRgirl was just posting her quickie thesis on how to live rich
without having to get her hands dirty,
such a shame to miss out on this part of life

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will she come back with a follow up post or is it one and done? If my post looked anything like that, I'd be gone forever.
I love my 2010 RRS and I'm here to stay. Love the info guys share on this site, but what does one say to answer this poor ladies life altering problem.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
11 Posts
- Anyway by 18 & 1/2 I said--
Wow. If you are currently 22 and still look back at being "18 & 1/2" you clearly have some more growing up to do (as well as successively passing a very needed course in writing) before being faced with such a difficult dilemma in choosing between driving a Bentley or Range Rover. And I digress...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow. If you are currently 22 and still look back at being "18 & 1/2" you clearly have some more growing up to do (as well as successively passing a very needed course in writing) before being faced with such a difficult dilemma in choosing between driving a Bentley or Range Rover. And I digress...
after much searching, I found RRGirl online...

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP--I have but one question for you after attempting to decipher the word salad you call a post. Do you live in Miami and commute to Oxford? Your prose is so illustrious, it would force Hemingway to burn his unpublished manuscripts, Picasso to touch up 'Guernica' using flaming rags doused in petrol, and Tom Wolfe to re-set "Bonfire of the Vanities" at 'Florida International University' or as it's more commonly known, 'The Eton of the Everglades'.

Seriously darling, Continental GTs, Range Rovers? First off, the fact that you're looking at secondhand cars is bad enough. Why don't you and your fiance just buy a full page ad in "I'm Poor" magazine? But the most embarrassing revelation by far isn't the year, make, or model of the vehicles you're contemplating--it's the fact that you actually plan to drive YOURSELF in one of these vehicles. Why don't you buy a nice Hyundai Accent--I hear they're offering 0% financing--whatever that means, and use the savings to hire a chauffeur, like my Coleman. That way, you can bask in the relaxing gusts of lukewarm South Korean air conditioning as your paid driver (let's call him Jeeves. 99% of men named Jeeves have become professional chauffeurs according to Reuters). jumps out to fetch one of those buzzers so you and your husband know when your table at PF Chang's is ready. After all the only thing worse than pulling up at PF Chang's in a 'pre-owned' Bentley would be letting Jefferson & Bianca from the club see you WAITING FOR A TABLE at PF Chang's.

P.S--Isn't the 'Great Wall of Chocolate' simply divine? Unfortunately it won't fit on the picnic tables in the back of my Bentley Arnage.

Best of luck to you in your search!

and a grand applause for you sir for your response and your apparent fleet!!

PS. the " I am poor" magazine comment was perfect! cheers

and all the best!!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
OMG, Like what?

Please, everyone, post a link to this thread on all sites that an anaesthesiologist or resident anaesthesiologist may visit, maybe we can save the poor bugger before it is too late and it costs him everything plus a lawyers bill to bail.

One would think a nurse would at least know how to spell
anesthesiologist (it is anaesthesiologist).

My recommendation is buy one of each, then decide which day of each week you will drive what, and lay out the schedule for 3 months at a time, that way there are no hard decisions and you get the best of both worlds. And keep the caddy, everyone must slum it and go back to their roots occasionally to keep us real. I mean, like, you won't have any bills soon so what's the diff?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts