Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove into a small mud pit (faster than I should have, but I was following other trucks who had no problem) on a trail and the front left wheel slammed into a hidden hole, and when I came out, the air was deflated from the wheel. Close inspection of the wheel shows an enormous bend in the inner lip. Tire seems ok, but I am bringing it to a tire place to inspect it. I was aired down to 20 psi and these are load E range mud tires.

Any off road guys on here ever see something like this? How do you bend an inner lip? What can I do to prevent this from happening? I thought the stock wheels, although aluminum, were pretty good trail wheels. I've been on several trails over the years, and this is the first time it's happened, so I guess they are ok.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Ah heck, you are not alone. I have bent two and totally destroyed one. There really isn;t much you can do to avoid it except slow down. Naturally that takes some of the fun out of big mud holes. :) You can pound that out for use as a spare or have it professionally repaired if you are unable to locate another matching rim.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to find one for like 70 bucks shipped on ebay.

If I can beat this wheel back into shape, I may throw my old spare on it and put it on the roof as a second spare. Whats another 100 lbs or so added to the extra steel bumper/slider/32" tire weight I'm already carrying? Right? `8)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's a GoPro of the incident. It doesn't even seem severe. Watch the truck in front of me hit the hole at 9 seconds in, and then I run in and hit it too.

Wheel bend impact is at 25 seconds in, and the steering knuckle grinding onto the bent part of the rim happens at 35 seconds.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
What trail was this?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,261 Posts
Thus why I run steel wheels on my wheeling rig/tires.
You can beat the steel rims back, but aluminum has a 50/50 chance of just cracking at the bend.
Tire should be fine though.

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts