RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Hitachi isn't making enough pressure after rebuilding with an x8r kit. I'm getting the "air supply" error. Narrowed the issue to the pump by borrowing the compressor of another RRS and not having errors.

I deduce then, either the pump is leaking or the piston isnt sealing. I couldn't see any damage to the cylinder wall or piston seals before I did the rebuild, but replaced the piston seal and glider ring anyways, along with all other seals included.

I want to run the pump on the bench and be able to soapy water test it and have access to see all sides/seals. I'm afraid to overpressure the pump if I just plugged the outlet and ran the pump off a battery. Is the over-pressure relief valve part of the pump? If so I should be able to plug the outlet into a pressure gauge to read the pressure while soapy water testing (with a hose in the air inlet to prevent water getting inside).

Let me know what you think. I'm really trying to avoid a $770Cad expense for an AMK kit, on top of the already spent $100 for the rebuild kit...:oops:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have read and suspect that the leak is a tiny crack between the two hose connections on the plastic plate. I think that is what was wrong with my compressor but I had given up after rebuild etc. and put a Hitachi knock off in and that fixed my problem. $269 US on ebay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I discovered that crack last week lol. I put a dab of superglue from the inside which sealed the crack, but the voss connectors were still leaking a bit. A gob of silicone grease on the hoses helped. I could get a replacement cap but then I'm spending more money on an old pump.

I like the idea of putting an air connector on the reservoir tank for inflating tires, so if I have to replace the pump, I'm going with the AMK for the higher chooch factor. But I'd be really disappointed in myself if I spent $800 and then found out it was just a $0.10 o-ring causing my problems. I'm polar that way - I'll spend weeks trying to fix what I have for cheap until I've exhausted all my options and I'm sick of the problem, then I start getting excited about the opportunity to upgrade the system :)

I got a 400 psi NPT pressure gauge and some connectors for under $20 today, so I'm gonna run the pump on the bench with some soapy water and see what I see. If that doesn't reveal anything, it could be the motor that's worn out, in which case I plan to order this kit because of the fast shipping:
RANGE ROVER SPORT NEW AMK STYLE AIR SUSPENSION COMPRESSOR KIT LR045251

and hopefully be done with this by next weekend!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts