RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today I was inspecting the underside of my Rangie, tracing an ugly oil leak.

I found out there are 2 holes (aprox 5cm in diameter), one on each side of the bell housing cover, above the oil sump (if you're looking from the front of the vehicle), covered by rubber plugs. I discovered one of the plugs was not fitted right, and the other one is missing. You can see the flywheel (I'm not sure if that's the name of the part) through the holes.

[attachment=0:ub6jqdmh]rubber caps.jpg[/attachment:ub6jqdmh]

I'm not a mechanic, so please bear with me...

1) whats the purpose of the holes/rubber plugs ?
2) Can anybody tell me the part# to replace the missing rubber cap ? Looked all afternoon in Microcat and came empty handed.
3) Is it safe to drive in the city without the rubber plugs ? I figured I did (unknowingly) for a while.
4) After covering the holes, is there something else I should do ?
5) The oil I see coming from it is engine oil or ATF ? Do you think it got contaminated and needs changing ?

I'm freaked out. Please help !

:crybaby2:

N.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

upon refiting one of the rubber plugs I found out that they are larger than the holes on the bell housing, WTF ?!?!?!

N.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Col, I can't thank you enough ! I was going crazy scanning microcat and rave for the part. I even thought someone messed up with my sump !

For the record, here's a nice thread about this elusive plug

http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29406

BTW, what about running without the plugs fited ? I'm going to order them online, as I doubt my dealer has them in stock, but it will take a week or so...

N.

·
Registered
640 Posts
NachoMan77 said:
I was going crazy scanning microcat and rave for the part.
Find the Engine/Sump section in Microcat and click on the "SuperWindow" Icon at top of the page and it will open up another page and list all parts shown plus others that are not illustrated.

Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Folks, I'm having a hard time to source this part.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29406 said:
I got the specs on the grommet, the diameter of the hole in the sump is 1 1/2" and the grommet should be 1 5/8"
Can anybody point me to a suitable replacement ?

Thanks in advance,

N.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts