Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on pulling my 95 RRC 4.2L engine. I have two bolts on the left bell housing that are proving to be a bit of a challenge. these are the ones on the side. I have the tops and bottom ones off. Just wondering if anyone has a trick to getting to these. Will it help to remove the engine sound pad ??? do I attack them with a ratchet, a wrench, Offset wrench, and do I go after these things for the top or from underneath.

thanks

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Sound pad won;t gain anything. However swivel joints and numerous extension will. They can be reached from below with everything in place. THey can be reached below with a bit more room if the exhaust is dropped. The left ones are a challenge from above due to the brake components and steering... if you have a left hand drive...

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
318 Posts
I have found access is improved if you remove the heads in advance. Removing the motor mounts will proved additional clearance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well go them out. the trick was to climb into the engine bay and get the leverage I needed. they are out. I got one more bolt on the torque converter. Man those things are tight as hell. I am beginning to suspect I may be rounding the little bugger off :( I can not seem to get a straight shot to it no matter what I try. I was able to get the other three out by making one huge extension and going to the front of the engine and using my Big Ass breaker bar to undo the torque. These should not be this tight.

So again, and tricks to getting the torque converter bolts off. Just one more left.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
119 Posts
Remove the front motor mount rubber and the engine will sit down on the steel. This will give you more room to get to the upper bolts.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts
two tricks which always works for me, if I'm on a lift in a shop setting, I remove the trans and t case mounts, support the drive trans with a trans jack, tilt drivetrain as far as possible and undo all top bolts, then reinstall trans and t case mounts and finish the rest of the bolt removal.
if on the ground, say a driveway, I remove engine mounts and allow engine to drop to the axle and thus I obtain clearance at bell housing top bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts