RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't buy my rrs from my local dealer and it was last serviced from the dealer I bought it from, am I being ambitious thinking that the cruise control (not working for some reason), brakes squeak a bit when I'm just about to stop, update nav, and resetting the service odometer (dealer I bought it from forgot to when they serviced it) should all be covered under my warranty?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
CB08 said:
I didn't buy my rrs from my local dealer and it was last serviced from the dealer I bought it from, am I being ambitious thinking that the cruise control (not working for some reason), brakes squeak a bit when I'm just about to stop, update nav, and resetting the service odometer (dealer I bought it from forgot to when they serviced it) should all be covered under my warranty?

Charm will get you a long way, I bet if you're nice, amicable and thoughtful they will do right by you. If you just get them to fix whatever you need and then dump them, for a $50 oil change they will treat you like wise. I hear about people dissing on the dealer over $50 and then wonder why they won't play ball.
They are a "business" so treat them as such, so you spend $125 for the oil change, cool now they will help you with some out of warranty issue. It's give and take you help them they help you. It's America, treat it as such, charm, and consideration and you're good to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. There are a couple other things I need to get done aside from the one's I mentioned so on top of hoping they'd honor my warranty for those issues I'm planning on giving them some business as well.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
If you're with in your warranty period they need to cover it, regardless of where you bought the vehicle. You might not get a free loaner but who knows, free loaners are purely at the SA discretion
As far as the nav update, do you mean new DVD disks? I don't think the warranty covers that. Firmware based updates on the other hand are usually covered, specially if they correct or address a known issue. I read on some TSB that a certain bluetooth upgrade was not covered on the warranty since it added new functionality and it was specific to the iPhone, you could get done for I think $200 bucks or 1 hr of shop time, can't exactly remember, but my dealer did it for free and did the nav update at the same time.
Cruise control is likely covered, as far as the noisy breaks there's a ton of posts on this forum about that very subject, you might have to live with that one but in my specific case the replaced the rear break pads under warranty and the issue went away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You should think of your Rover service as a profit center completely separate from the sales unit. They are responsible for making a department profit independent of the sales department. As such, they will be happy to service your car (if they are happy servicing anyones car). The money lost by the dealership, in not being able to sell you a car, is not a detriment to the service deparment. Although the salesmen may not be friendly, the service manager should be. Dealers spen much-o money trying to get people to bring their cars to them for serrvice. Look at Ford, advertising to beat tire prices regardless of car make or model. They are there to make a profit, not punish someone for getting a better buying deal somewhere else. As the 'God Father said," It's not personel,It's only business ".
Service departments make money either from you or from LandRover under warenty service. Treat them as an independent service agency. Require they give you proper service or take your business elswhere.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,150 Posts
cruise control - definitely sounds like something that should be covered under warranty
brakes - not saying this is right, but IMHO this will be at the discretion of the SA and depends on the mileage on the vehicle. a 2010 squeaking with a few thousand miles is a big difference than a 2008 with 40k on the clock. i was fortunate enough to get my 1st set of rear pads replaced under new car warranty. even tho my extended warranty is up at the end of the month, i'll have no such luck this time around.
update nav - as mentioned, if you're just looking for a new DVD, it's not covered under warranty.
resetting service odometer - i think they'll do this, but likely as part of everything else, particularly if they can verify with another dealer that the service was done and resetting the service odometer was forgotten.

i'd make cruise control the priority and politely ask about the other things as others have mentioned. but if they decline the rest, i wouldn't start demanding anything, esp if this is the dealer you see yourself going to for future services.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The update I need for the nav is because whatever version I have doesn't recognize the newer areas of my city so all of a sudden my nav just shows me driving off into nowhereland and I'm no longer on a road. So do I need a dvd to do this? Or is it something they update at the dealer? Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Depends on how "new" the newer areas in your town are... It often takes a version or two of the data discs before new streets / businesses are mapped and appear on Navteq's DVDs. Either way, upgrading to the latest DVD to take advantage of the most up-to-date maps and POI databases will be on your dime, whether you have leftover factory warranty or not. http://www.navigation.com/landrover What year is your Sport?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts