RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Finally after 40 years of dreaming and scheming I got my hands on my first Range Rover !!, 1992 classic 3.9. The bodywork and chassis are good/great, Interior Is old but in pretty good order and most of the electronics work. I have a few jobs to do and am looking for advice.

1. The engine is hard to start cold, I don't know when it last was serviced or even had an oil change, once it does run it feels a little lethargic ( sounds magnificent though ! ) the distributor cap and wires look new, no telling about plugs, or air/fuel filters. It just doesn't have the pull and power I think it should have.

2. All 4 rotors look pitted and rusted beyond normal, the brakes do stop the vehicle but it seems odd, maybe just a bit of mileage would help ?

3. Would love to hear of a miracle fix for a sagging headliner ( guess you've heard that one before )

That's enough to get started with, expect to see me around.

Englishsteve

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Awesome on getting that 92
I have one as well
But most years seam to be the same as far as problems go
you can remove the headliner easily
Probably felt is delaminated
have the rotors turned or get new
I have had good luck google searching for answers to many problems
So good luck
Yer Gonna love your rover

Mike

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,495 Posts
Download the RAVE, this is the Range Rover bible.

Fix for sagging headliner is to remove and replace the liner. The foam just turns to dust, so it doesn't really help to respray the old liner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, the previous owner gave me a RR workshop manual, I guess that will give me some freshen up the motor ideas. My guess is to change oil, plugs and filters and see where it goes from there. The headliner isn't too bad yet I just have to duck a bit . I found rotors on partsgeek that seem reasonably priced and as I don't know of anyplace to get them turned I will go down that road. Here's a little puzzler I hope someone can solve for me, on either side of the transmission tunnel ( between front legroom areas ) there are strange fittings mounted that I have no idea about. they almost look like the bottom fitment for an antenna but that doesn't make any sense at all to me ! any ideas ??

Englishsteve

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Most any OReilly's, Pep Boys, NAPA etc can turn your rotors as long as they are not too worn. The fittings at your tranny are most likely your A/C drains.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Toadhall, I will try to find a local machine shop ( not much is local in WV ). the fittings that puzzle me are on the inside of the car at shin height on the tranny tunnel. I should post a picture to illustrate

Engish

·
Registered
108 Posts
I replaced my rotors last year and was surprised at the relatively low cost. Now, the shop that put them on was certainly proud of their work and since then I've done most of the work myself. These rigs are not hard to work on and there is plenty of information on the interwebs. I love my 92.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as the motor goes depending on the milage you might want to look into possibly getting a new camshaft as they tend to wear out causing lack of power. We replaced ours when we did the head gaskets made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I would recommend new rotors. They are not that expensive.
X2. While you have the hub off, you should replace your seals, inspect/repack bearings. You may also want to consider redoing the swivel housing seals as well. I just rebuilt my hubs, only to find one swivel seal was bad, so off came the hub, again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts