RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P38, 1997, 4.6 HSE Vitesse. Only Range Rover lovers will understand this. But I have just completed replacing the Front Differential, both front hubs, upper and lower ball joints, drag link and drop arm, and all seals in the front axle. I know, it was expensive on parts (I completed all of the work myself) but I know the vehicle pretty well, and still couldn't see replacing it with a total unknown. The only issue is the 192 lbf for the front axle retaining nuts, so I torgued them to 150 which is the limit of my torque wrench, then gave it a little more for good measure. The other was my surprise to finding the front end is toed out slightly. I am used to convential rear wheel drive cars where the front end has a little toe in for stability. Perhaps its a thing with live axle four wheel drive. Anyway, job jobbed, until the next project.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I replaced all the wheel bearings, bushes and ball joints last year. Took me about 2 months all in. That did however include welding up a home made hydraulic press. Stuffed my back up making it.

You need a 3/4" torque wrench and sockets on the front wheel. I bought a used one on Ebay. An expensive professional one about 5 foot long but no calibration certificate. Cost less than £50 GB.
Engineering companies sell them on when the calibration certificate expires and they can't get them retested.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Congrats. No radius arms ? :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have bushings for the radius arms, but the originals appear to be in very good condition. I must admit now to being a little worried about the torque for the axle nut. I wonder how critical it is. Does it pre load the wheel bearings? I am going to try to beg / borrow / steal a torque wrench with an adequate rangs, but this is something I dont want to do again. I am not driving it at the moment, so for now, no harm no foul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts