RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm washing my 06 Sport and notice and oil stain underneith. I take it in and they say its the oil cooling unit and it needs to be replaced. I take it in and wait 2 hours and get a call from them saying they've misdiagnosed. They said it is the Bed Plate Gasket and its the silicone that sits between the top part and bottom part of the engine. In short, the engine needs to be pulled out and opened and the seal needs to be replaced. I've been told that this is not entirely uncommon. Wondering if anyone else has had to have this done and if so, did you have any further problems both with the NEW Bed Plate Gasket OR anything else being disrupted by the pulling out and taking apart the engine.
if so, I'd like to hear about it. I feel like I'm taking a family member in for open heart surgery.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
I, for one, was not aware the RRS had a bed plate. They're are usually found on big diesels and some high performance gasoline engines. But, since we apparently have one, I'm not so sure this is a common failure. Do have have lots of miles on your RRS? Also, if the leak is small some guys just live w/ it.

Since the shop misdiagnosed the initial source, it may be worth it to dye test the oil to verify the leak is indeed coming from the bed plate gasket. Also, if there's any chance of repairing the bed plate gasket without pulling the engine, you should ask the shop to do so.

Hope you have a warranty if you go the pull the engine route. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks... not many miles at all. 27k. got the car back and it started making a strange whirring noise when i floored it that was not there before. so i did what anyone would do... traded it in for a 2010. BEST decision i've ever made. the difference is night and day in every way. the only thing i liked more about the 06 design is the front looked a little more street mean. The 2010 also looks great but has a more refined look. but its more fitting of the more lux interior. got the lux version...incredible.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
72 Posts
I have a 2006 HSE 4.4 w/ 60k miles that has a small bed plate leak. Concerned it will get worse over time. I do not want to remove the engine. Any advise on external fixes?

I found the above Service Bulletin that uses Devcon Aluminum Putty (F) 10611 for a rear engine leak. Could this be a possible solution? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts