RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Still havent resolved this no gauges or HVAC backlight issue.
To recap, vehicle starts & runs good. HVAC works as it should. The HVAC display backlight wont come on.....up onthe dash I have no gauges working except SRS test light on start.. All gauges, info display & warning lights dead.
Now...if I remove Fuse number 1 under seat, HVAC backlight comes on and info display, tacho and red low fuel light & orange temp gauge light come to life.
When I switch car off and restart all are off again.

What have I done so far?

Cleaned every earth point in car & under bonnet. Checked alternator, OK, brand new fuse box. Have had BeCM & ECU sent away and allegedly serviced & immobiliser deactivated. Checked all connections in car and under bonnet. Fitted new 1000cca battery which spent a weekend on commercial charger first.....still no fix.
Which brings me to the BeCM to dash serial.
Can someone please tell me which loom plug on the BeCM is the one that goes to the dash? Also the powerfeed pole on the BeCM that feed the 12v to Fuse 1?
Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

Australian delivered RHD
4/1997 HSE 4.6 GEMS.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,411 Posts
I think it is a white 16 way plug C256 that connects the fascia to the BECM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi VougeHSE,
Any success in this matter?
I have a friend that have exactly the same issue...I`ve helped him and did pretty much the same as you and still nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no luck yet. Have fitted a new fusebox, checked all wiring & connections, fitted 1000cca battery. Nothing.
Have sent the Becm to Injectronics in Melbourne 3 times. Complete waste of time & money. They're clowns. Next stop is new Becm from Triumph Rover in Adelaide.
Cost: $1100.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That is a lot of money. I would look around for a secondhand BECM. Look for exactly the same part number as there are variations. Maybe Ebay UK is your best bet.

If you take them apart you will see two circuit boards inside ..... a power board and a logic board. You can swap the power boards over yourself to see if that solves the problem.
The logic board contains all the settings for the vehicle. The replacement board can be cloned to the original if you can find someone with a Faultmate and the right software module.
Then try swapping the logic boards over. It is good to have a spare cloned BECM anyway.

If you can't find anyone local to clone it, pm me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the saga continues......Becm was sent back to Injectronics down in Melbourne again....that is 3 times now. This time they decided the Becm was faulty & they couldnt fix it.
Got it sent back & installed ot so I can atleast start & move the car until I can afford the $1100 for a replacement Becm that will be coded to my car, ECU etc.....
So fotted it and after letting the car idle for about 10 minutes everything started working properly. Heaven for about 2 weeks. I didnt use back windows as I suspected that was where the problem lay as last time I used the RH rear that was when the Becm died.
Anyhoo, this evening a passenger put the RH rear down nefore I could say Nooooo! It went down fine....as soon as I hit UP, right on cue the gauges and everything else died again.
So what have we learnt?
The fault kicks off with that window. The other 3 windows all worked fine last 2 weeks.
The fault is definately in the Becm, not in the car as when stuff works, it all works perfectly. So not Earths, wiring or master window switch etc. I would Definately recommend cleaning the earths at both lower A pillars behind kick panels & the earth behind the stereo before launching into a replacement Becm however.

The rear windows apparently dont go through the rear outstation, bt directly from the Becm....which brings us back to the Becm being the problem.

Hopefully anyone else who gets this issue will find all this of some help.

·
Super Moderator
2,091 Posts
The fault is definately in the Becm, not in the car as when stuff works, it all works perfectly.
Personally I'd say that proves the fault definitely ISN'T in the BeCM, but in the wiring. If the BeCM detects a fault on a circuit, it cuts power to that circuit to protect itself and whatever is causing the problem. I'd say you have an intermittent short circuit on the wiring to the rear windows.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,199 Posts
Or if it is on the BECM - then it is on the the power board, which is the bit you can just swap the logic board over into a new casing... no reprogramming needed.

But I'd got with Richard to start with... check the wiring to the RH rear door, especially the window motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts