RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
wondering if anyone has used a BeCM sync mate to re-synchronise your P38? Seen it on ebay for £119 and wondered if its worth it. We have been having mega problems with our computer and it has had to be taken off to the dealership and re-set three times now. The car seems to be not shutting down properly and then drains the battery. We wake up in the night and lights are on in/outside the car which is a little spooky...
We also have trouble with the doors locking (dont know if there is a connection) and we have just seen this sync mate on ebay and would like to know more. Closer inspection to the door locks shows a motor broken on passenger side and plastic cog mechanism near motor has melted on drivers side. (thought I saw a post on this, but cant find it now)

~Thanks :x

·
Registered
520 Posts
The sync mate only re syncs the immobiliser code in the Becm to the Engine Management (Diesel or Motronic versions)
It can't help with the Vehicles BeCM not going to sleep etc and the 2 problems are not typically related.

Sounds like you need to get your locks sorted anyway so why not get that done first.

BTW we make the Syncmate, just in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Our doors have been malfunctioning for 3 weeks now and tonight the RR wouldnt start - again. So it looks like it needs to go back to the main dealer to be reset again - for the third time! This is costing us about £250 a time with transporting a 'dead' RR. What are any suggestions now?

Scrap????????

:cry:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Locks could be keeping the BECM awake. Why not spend the money getting them replaced rather than getting something to treat the symtom?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BBS SPY said:
The sync mate only re syncs the immobiliser code in the Becm to the Engine Management (Diesel or Motronic versions)
It can't help with the Vehicles BeCM not going to sleep etc and the 2 problems are not typically related.

Sounds like you need to get your locks sorted anyway so why not get that done first.

BTW we make the Syncmate, just in case you were wondering.

Well, we just ordered one! Hoping it will get the car started. We know we need new door lock motor/mechanisms as one is broken (passenger side) and one has some melted plastic stopping it working (drivers side) so they are also being looked for.

We need to re-sync to get it started, then we think we need the new reciever part (YWY500170) to keep it from 'dying' every three weeks or so. Have had a few heated words with the main dealer as they send it back only to happen again...

Hoping if we do all this, it might work, then do we sell it quick?????? or will this cure it?

:wink: :dance:

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you have the door cards off why not just unplug the door motors? OK you have to work manually for a while but you find out if they are the cause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so we got the Sync-Mate and guess what, it didnt do the job...It is flashing red once which seems to be EMS did not respond to wake up. (this is not because the Sync-Mate doesnt work, its our car with a mind of its own and a total disregard for wanting to start!)

Please, please, please; any other ideas - looking more like the scrap might be only option!!! Main dealer not interested in any problem; gave us money back for labour and said 'do not darken my doorstep again'. Charming. :x

Seriously tho, we have had so many problems with this RR that we are almost put off for life. Offroading in a Mini seems like a definite better option now. :doh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:oops: Yes, I know, how stupid am I?? EMS - yes just worked it out. Wish I could work out the car just as easily.... :oops:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
18 Posts
I have had the same issues. First - buy the SyncMate. The engine management system and BECM can go out of sync for a number of reasons. Not the most common, but one of the oddest, is if you charge the battery with it in the car and connected. The most common reason is three or more fault codes being generated in succession. For me, this was driver side door lock fault where one of the three internal micro switches had the activating plunger broken. So all other doors worked fine on automatic locking and unlocking, but the driver door had to be unlocked manually. The damaged switch would normally be activated by interior door locking lever. This generated fault signal in door outstation and then to BECM. Only Driver door outstation provides initial activation signal to BECM. Hence the problems.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Not really much point buying a Sync mate (or anything else) until you've got a good idea that that is the problem (and there are model specific clues). I've had or done those things mentioned multiple times in the past and not once (touch wood) had a sync issue. The FOUT LR tool (for GEMS) originally talks of corrosion issues in the wiring presumable corrupting the data to/from the BeCM and ECM, or its the internal chip in the BeCM losing its memory of the stored code.

If you've had lpg (which cuts injector power) you'll get at least 8 corresponding codes iirc, charging in situ done many times and had latches go 3 times, all before i got with the program.

....statistically at least, your description points to a fried motor. Microswitch issues would cause alarm/immobilizer issues, which also would prevent starting and perhaps could be mistaken for a sync issue because in both scenarios the immobiliser code isn't sent/received/confirmed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts