RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK 97 4.0SE petrol 118K (miles not km) cruise stopped working a few weeks back and then realised hazards don't work --- just had radio out for full refurb so thought I may have disturbed something -- rev counter then stopped working - got RAVE out and was starting to do the cruise tests -- when I took off the dash binnacle to get to the hazard and cruise (lights up but thats it - pipes are OK) nudged the multiplug on the right hand side of the instrument cluster and I got every lamp on the dash lit up! Unplugged it and reinserted but obviously needs female sockets tightening up (somehow!) Anyway rev counter now back on line but and here is a queer one - trip computer says range is 495 miles (car has 3 galls in her) and average mpg is 99.9!!!! Took her for a drive and MPG gradually dropped to 88.7 after 4 miles otherwise she runs fine :think:

·
Registered
67 Posts
computer just needs some mileage to recalculate fuel, you should be fine in 30-50 miles. Before it happens take a picture and hit the prius forums :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

As the header is already indicating, a complete failure of all cockpit instruments could be the sign of a BECM failure.

Best regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Jos is probably right (he has never been wrong :shhh: ).

But just to clarify, can you confirm or deny if your ignition was switched on when you unplugged the cluster?

·
Registered
50 Posts
ignition was on when the connector was unplugged. they gauge cluster has been in and out. i suspected grounds/connections at first, but i've traced everything back to C1280 on the BeCM. i can't tell what it's doing from the troubleshooting manual on the pins running to the BeCM. all of the other pins on C0233 independent of the BeCM check out good (12v & grounds) and 12v is present at the indicator lights, but no lights (i.e. no ground to complete the circuit). it would appear the BeCM is switching ground for the indicator lights and what not so I'll probably have to dig into the BeCM to figure it out, but I was hoping for a BeCM schematic because RAVE is totally inadequate for this.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Before banging you head on the wall when you come home at night disconnect your car battery. Let it sit over night and reconnect it it the morning. This makes the Range Rover computer (BECM) know that your are serious it and it will start to act nicely. BTW same thing happens if you cancel the wife's credit card. (I'm just saying)

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks for the suggestions. disconnecting the battery for an extended period was one of the first things i did.

I don't have any pictures, but i tore the becm apart last night. it had a nice layer of brown corn syrup inside, underneath, and some fries to boot. the PO was a real slob. I cleaned it out, resoldered some connections (especially the corroded harness connectors) and all appears to be well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My very next recommendation was going to be to check the BECM for Maple Syrup and french fries. This is a rather frequent occurrence because most RR owners are insane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts