RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for datas about each market.
Basically i need elements to choose between Australian Market BECM Reprog or Gulf Market BECM Reprog.
Those 2 mods are often carried out in France for reliability reason with Immobilizer, alarm and battery drains but nobody knows about the real differences between those 2 specs.

Thanks

Florent

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Florent

I know what you mean.
But just to recap, for teh benefit of anyone who deoes not understand.
The BeCM has a number of Bytes in its EEPROM which are then broken down into binary bits that on their own or in small groups of 2 or 3 control a wide variety of configurable settings.

For example, the first 3 bits are collectively used to set the instrument packs language. With 3 bits there are 8 possible values that can be set, 000, 001, 010, 111, 100, 101, 110 and 111, each one giving a different language. Another single bit somewhere is used to set LHD or RHD.
In our own equipment, we read all the available data and decode this into seperate settings which we then display as a nice page with about 40 odd parameters on, The user can select any of the options in any of the settings and change each one or not at will, But we are unique in this, which is one of the reasons i always carp on about our equipment being the most advanced there is. :oops:
Anyway, this means that its a formality to set a vehicle with our system to have something like a RHD vehicle in French language. But the Testbook flo has Provides a page of selections which are market or country based.
But each selection will set all the values and setting only to a pre determined mask. For example The French selection will give a French language and LHD.

However some of the country masks really differ from each other only in respect of the alarm and immobiliser settings, but there is no information other than trial and error to indicate which options are set which way with each market selection.

So Flo is basically asking if anyone has this information.

The good news is that i did do a market by market comparison as to how the Testbook sets up the parameters for each market, by monitoring and reading back the set data, the bad news is it was well over 10 years ago and i am really going to have to trawl through our archive material for you.

can you tell me which options in particular you need which way amd i can try to identify the possiblemarket option selections applicable for you? :thumb:

Regards

Colin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Colin,

As always, lots of usefull informations.
On Testbook, Language Display is separate from the Market so i can program a vehicle to be RHD (Australian) and French no prob at all.

What i understood is that Australian Market Programmation with desactivation of the EKA Passive function is really good for reliability since it permits to desactivate immobilizer using the key like on any other simple car. 8)
You'll never be embarrassed by EKA not working or remote not working.

What i'd like to know is : does the Gulf Market Programmation desactivates the alarm or immobilizer? :doh:

Cheers

Florent

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Florent,
Yea some would have me taken out the back and shot though :lol:
But i do have my uses :roll:
I had forgotten, well beat me, it's been a while, :lol: that there are a few selcetable parameter options, but its coming back now, gees i been down memory lane a bit already tonight, IIRC sunroof and Fogs fitted or not fitted, is Trip computer there too. But the principle of my description is sound though.

Tell you what though, i sort of started collecting and amassing a library of all the TestBook disks. Gimme a list of what you have and send me a copy of what you have and in return, if i have any later disks you don't have, i will send you a copy. I also have lots of nice late Rover disks too. I can also manufacture any and all Test Book leads too. Cool Huh, actually i built an all in one lead box called Lead mate with a built in LCD and a few buttions, you plug it in than add the right physical adaptor and on the screen you select what lead you want it to enmulat to teh Testbook, its cool but never got fully de bugged.

I also have a lot of install, system and rescue disks, you should be on RDS 3.13. if not let me know. I have a particularly nice one to keep in my collection that was designed to address the millenium Bug. Does anyone remember that?

Anyway moving on, yea from what i recall, some market do have a de activated EKA, passive immobilizer and alarm, i know i turned them off on my own P38 and it's certainly much better.

First thing in the morning, i will pull our BeCM programming archive and i can tell you much more, at the moment i would have trouble pulling a russian shot putter.

But if i am mistaken, Vous habitez en Francais? a quelle heure et il maitnant pour vous, il est dix vingt ici.
Je suis desole pour mon terrible francais.

Regardez Colin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great 8)
I'll track all my disks (about 50ish ) and keep you informed but i really appreciate the offer for CD's and leads.

Leadmate, sounds like a PhenixEye :dance:

Oui j'habite en France à Paris et il est 10.23pm ici

Salutations

Florent

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
996TURBO said:
Hi Colin,

On Testbook, Language Display is separate from the Market so i can program a vehicle to be RHD (Australian) and French no prob at all.

What i understood is that Australian Market Programmation with desactivation of the EKA Passive function is really good for reliability since it permits to desactivate immobilizer using the key like on any other simple car. 8)

What i'd like to know is : does the Gulf Market Programmation desactivates the alarm or immobilizer? :doh:

Cheers

Florent

Hi - I'm interested in this too.

Do I understand correctly?

You can disable the immobiliser, the alarm and the EKA part, but still have the remote opening and locking - just like a simple car?

I have more questions, but, one step at atime!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SpiggyTopes said:
996TURBO said:
Hi Colin,

Cheers

Florent

Hi - I'm interested in this too.

Do I understand correctly?

You can disable the immobiliser, the alarm and the EKA part, but still have the remote opening and locking - just like a simple car?

I have more questions, but, one step at atime!
I'm sure you can, the question is how to do it with a Testbook.
With Colin's stuff it's easier since you can select devices that you want or not.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yea, First thing our P38 equipment owners usually do.

Here is a link to a saved copy of a BECM basic settings page, Its just HTML format, so you can open it in any browser and i linked in a Cascade style sheet so it looks better, and gets all it colour and font type / size info

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/photos/becm_basic_settings.htm

Florence:
I dug out my paperwork and i have the market options settings listing that the TB applies in most cases, but its in Hex. so i had to go a bit further,
From what i am seeing, Australia looks like your best bet and that actually gives you a choice to enable or disable passive immobilization and EKA.
If you use the HTML page as a guide and either edit the Html to change the selections or just send me a screen shot of the settings page with it all as you want i will match up the resultant Hex to the market button that will give you the closest match.

warmest regards

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Colin,

Thanks for that, nice to test the potential of your software 8)
I now understand what you mean when you said you can fully bespoke it.

I thought during a long time that there was no need to bespoke BECM options but since i saw your list, i really find interest like.
I didn't even think that there was that much options in there.

I really find interest for disabling KEY WARNING (i hate that bip to signal that my Key is in, i know it )

I have some questions.

What are :

-RANGE LAMP
-WINDOW CANCEL
-LAZY LOCKING : i know what it is but do not undestand difference between 1Shot and DMH?

Kind Regards

Florent

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
996TURBO said:
-RANGE LAMP
-WINDOW CANCEL
-LAZY LOCKING : i know what it is but do not undestand difference between 1Shot and DMH?
I'm not sure about the "range lamp", I don't believe I have ever messed with that one. Windows cancel is how long you have to run windows via switch before their power is cut. DMH is Depress and Momentary Hold before the windows and sunroof will close.

·
Registered
931 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
996TURBO said:
-RANGE LAMP
-WINDOW CANCEL
I'm not sure about the "range lamp", I don't believe I have ever messed with that one. Windows cancel is how long you have to run windows via switch before their power is cut. DMH is Depress and Momentary Hold before the windows and sunroof will close.

Range Lamp~: Gearbox high or low Range selected :thumb:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bon Soir Flo
I now understand what you mean when you said you can fully bespoke it.

I thought during a long time that there was no need to bespoke BECM options but since i saw your list, i really find interest like.
I didn't even think that there was that much options in there.
Yea don't worry, i get that a lot, I am often on my soap box on here proclaiming to anyone in often leangthy posts how much more advanced our system is over anything else.
But then i am its developer / creator and so it is really only expected that i would say that.
And those actually have my system, typically don't ever get to know what anything else is like anyway, just as those with any other system will typically never get to experience ours.
That's just the way it is. :)

To be honest and fair, in respect of the P38, the BeCM settings page is really one of the very few areas that we can and do excel greatly over something like Testbook, leaving out all the nice usability features, and vastly sportier access speed. So once i can get you sorted, you are not really at that much of a disadvantage over having our stuff anyway. :shhh:
And its not like a few seconds here and there would matter that much to a private owner anyway. You havn't exactly got to diagnose half a dozen problems before lunch after all :lol:
Of course the later TestBooks and T4 is a lot faster anyway.

I am actually quite impressed that you already seem to have such a good grasp of the Market settings differences in respect of how it sets up the BeCM at all. And i salute you most heartidly for thinking outside the LR inflicted box.
You are obviosly a switched on and thinking individual and so should do well.

Please know that you can count on me and my unconditional help any time. :thumb:

Likewise if ever i am dans le paris again i shall endevour to look you up and say Bonjour.

Salutations

Colin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all.

Colin, about Market settings differences. I learnt some bits from the french LR tech for the Testbook and read the Rave manual to understand subsystems.

I filled the form but don't know how to save it and upload it.

With the freezing cold coming to Paris, i'd rather prefer to look you up in Cyprus 8)

Salutations

Florent

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
BBS SPY said:
Heh Colin,
that's a pretty cool page. Do you have documentation about exactly what each option means? Some are slightly cryptic.
I think I maybe coming round to the idea, that I may 'need' a faultmate!..

@John W:
I would expect "RANGE LAMP" to be if the little red/yellow light in the Fuel Gauge, comes on or not, when your estimated fuel range is less than the 80km/50miles, maybe?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Florent

Its getting a bit nippy now here from this week :crybaby2:

As the page is the saved HTML result of the data read from a vehicle or been changed from within our system, you can't just edit and change the settings, unless you edit the HTML code itself
Why don't you make the changes and save the screen shot as a picture and e-mail it to me :thumb:

Paul, thanks :)
Yes we do, Its always been on line, as its our policy to allow our customers to see exactly what capability our software gives.
If you go to our web shop at http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop, click on the Faultmate MSV-2 button on the left, then select software from the middle of the 3 buttons on the resulting page and then Multiple vehicle from the 3 drop down options, you will see a long list of all our software modules. if you scroll down to the BeCM, which is SM022 you will get the entire HTML help Page for our BeCM software that comes within our systems software. The cpability is the same with a Single or Multiple vehicle system, but its easier to use the multiple vehicle selection to get you to it.
here is the direct url
https://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM022.html

scroll down to the settings section and you will see all the settings listed along with what they mean.
EG
Range lamp: This is used to enable or disable the hi or low range selector back lamp function.

Some of the descriptions are a little bit short on detail i am afraid.

When i first figured out all the settings, i had a few data bits that i did not know what they meant, they did not seem to do anything i could detect on a vehicle, and it drove me nuts for ages. It was important to include them too as the page represents 100% of the BeCM settings Data. That means that from that page of text settings, our system can reconstruct every single bit and byte to fully program or clone the entire hex contents of the BeCM EEPROM.

But one day i got some documentation that gave me a bit of a clue. so i put them in, should some other BeCM version or vehicle actually have / use them, but the descriptions i had were a bit cryptic.

Hope this helps

regards

Colin

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks to all.

Colin, about Market settings differences. I learnt some bits from the french LR tech for the Testbook and read the Rave manual to understand subsystems.

I filled the form but don't know how to save it and upload it.

With the freezing cold coming to Paris, i'd rather prefer to look you up in Cyprus 8)

Salutations

Florent
Hi Florent.

I wake up an old tread here, but maybe you can help me here…

I having problems with the Immobilizer/alarm and sync lost between the BeCM and the EMS.
My 2000 Autobiography RR was originally bought in Canada but when checked, the "MARKET" was "NOT SET".

A friend, with access to Testbook, reprograms my BeCM into Japan market program. That supposes to eliminate the need to read that code but he warn me about some odd "side effects" of the Japan Market BeCM.
If you lock the RR using the key (not the remote), he says, you can't open it, using the remote - If you try to use the remote, as describe, you won’t be able to start the engine without the Testbook…
And vice versa – locking with the remote and opening with the key, will end up with the same results.
That is what he says – I didn’t try it, because of the obvious reasons…

Any way…
Do you know of any of those "side affects" with the Australian Market BeCM? Do recommend program it into my BeCM?

Do you know what are the differences between the Australian and the Japan market programming?

Where can I read/learn about the market programming?

Thanks a lot,
Bernard.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Bernard

Am not sure whether specific market settings have any influence on the BECM/EMS sync problem. There is a 3 digit code in the EMS ECU which is fixed. The BECM has a spot in its memory and when the EMS code is written into it, the vehicle functions as you would expect. The problem, as Colin BBS has alluded to in the post relating to a similar issue in the BMW X5, is that the BECM 'forgets' the EMS value. I have had this happen only twice in 5 yrs... thank goodness for the trusty Faultmate..

Mine is set to the Australian market (surprise!) if I lock the vehicle with the key it opens when I push the remote button. If it's locked with the remote and you open it with the key it disarms the alarm. I don't know if there's any issues of "internal inconsistency" in setting the BECM to a RHD country when the vehicle is set up for LHD.

My advice is to buy a Nanocom or a Faultmate!!
good luck

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi Florent.

I wake up an old tread here, but maybe you can help me here…

I having problems with the Immobilizer/alarm and sync lost between the BeCM and the EMS.
My 2000 Autobiography RR was originally bought in Canada but when checked, the "MARKET" was "NOT SET".

A friend, with access to Testbook, reprograms my BeCM into Japan market program. That supposes to eliminate the need to read that code but he warn me about some odd "side effects" of the Japan Market BeCM.
If you lock the RR using the key (not the remote), he says, you can't open it, using the remote - If you try to use the remote, as describe, you won’t be able to start the engine without the Testbook…
And vice versa – locking with the remote and opening with the key, will end up with the same results.
That is what he says – I didn’t try it, because of the obvious reasons…

Any way…
Do you know of any of those "side affects" with the Australian Market BeCM? Do recommend program it into my BeCM?

Do you know what are the differences between the Australian and the Japan market programming?

Where can I read/learn about the market programming?

Thanks a lot,
Bernard.
Hello Bernard,

I've readen that Japan mode disable the remote completely. A bit strange for the electronics empire...

Australian mode has one "side affects", you loose one touch button on passenger window.

Since i discovered that i use "Rest of the world" or "Gulf" market

The basic idea is those markets allows the programmer to disable EKA mode.

Without EKA, you've the choice to turn off immobilizer either with the remote or by opening the door with the key.

BECM/ECM desynchronisation is a whole different story... There's no mean to solve that except Testbook or BBS Synchmate.

Regards

Florent

·
Registered
922 Posts
Actually with Australian mode and a Faultamte I have been able to set "one touch" to all windows...no problems

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
soory to hijack, but does anyone have any testbook softwear that might speed up my TB1 and keep it useable?
thanks again
Rupert Prior

1 - 20 of 20 Posts