RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
58 Posts
Hi All,

Well after doing my due diligence, researching companies and blogs about the best possible person, or company to send my BeCM to for repair, I decided to go with Scotty and his BeCM doctors company. I was able to get everything together and mailed him my BeCM and ECU for my 1997 RR HSE a long with a spare box that I had in my 2000 RR HSE. After only a few minutes of writing my last thread, I had received responses advising me to to go with Scotty, and a phone call from the man himself shortly after. After having so many issues with my 1st P38 and all of it's issues, I'm confident and feel great about my decision in going with BeCM doctor, I can not wait to get my unit back and install it. Scotty, has been a god sent so far, his website worked perfectly and I was able to order the repairs straight from my phone. He's been professional, responsive and a lot of help thus far and I am happy to have given him my business. Not a lot of people want to work on these old p38 out here in AZ, so I don't trust my truck to many people but, with all of the readers and information on here and networking with folks that also have these trucks, I'm feeling better and better about sticking with my Range Rover.

Thanks again to Scotty and all the folks on Range Rovers.net, keep posting tips and advice on here, it helps out more than you know!

Merry Christmas and have a happy New year!

Josh-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

Well after doing my due diligence, researching companies and blogs about the best possible person, or company to send my BeCM to for repair, I decided to go with Scotty and his BeCM doctors company. I was able to get everything together and mailed him my BeCM and ECU for my 1997 RR HSE a long with a spare box that I had in my 2000 RR HSE. After only a few minutes of writing my last thread, I had received responses advising me to to go with Scotty, and a phone call from the man himself shortly after. After having so many issues with my 1st P38 and all of it's issues, I'm confident and feel great about my decision in going with BeCM doctor, I can not wait to get my unit back and install it. Scotty, has been a god sent so far, his website worked perfectly and I was able to order the repairs straight from my phone. He's been professional, responsive and a lot of help thus far and I am happy to have given him my business. Not a lot of people want to work on these old p38 out here in AZ, so I don't trust my truck to many people but, with all of the readers and information on here and networking with folks that also have these trucks, I'm feeling better and better about sticking with my Range Rover.

Thanks again to Scotty and all the folks on Range Rovers.net, keep posting tips and advice on here, it helps out more than you know!

Merry Christmas and have a happy New year!

Josh-

I live here in AZ and I was just told today that I have a BECM issue and need to replace it so I don't know anyone that I can take my truck to so I can get that repaired so could someone please help me thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Really?

Thomas, there are now few people on the ground who really understand the P38. What's the problem? The body modules seem pretty reliable. Beware of those with a little knowledge. Like amateur psychologists, they can be dangerous.

Describe the issue you're having.

Second hand body modules, engine ECUs and fobs can be bought as a set and transplanted.

Tell us more.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live here in AZ and I was just told today that I have a BECM issue and need to replace it so I don't know anyone that I can take my truck to so I can get that repaired so could someone please help me thanks

I have a 96 range rover and found out today that I need a BECM and that it needs to be replaced I live in AZ and don't know anyone that has experience on that and I cant trust everyone to work on my vehicle so if anyone knows please hit me up and let me know so I can get this truck fix please thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
Marty-NZ, www.p38webshop.co.uk if you really do need a BeCM repairing which I seriously doubt unless you have set fire to it or taken the top off and filled it full of battery acid. What is the actual problem as I very much doubt you need to replace the BeCM

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I will happily guide you to check it out.
If a BECM fails it is usually due to bad corrosion, water ingress or terrible workmanship of self appointed 'electricians' botching up locks etc.

Tell us what your symptoms are and I am your between the 3 of us we can tell you

·
Registered
299 Posts
+2 for Marty as he has unlocked two for me.
I have never read of one actually failing but I guess it sometimes happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really?

Thomas, there are now few people on the ground who really understand the P38. What's the problem? The body modules seem pretty reliable. Beware of those with a little knowledge. Like amateur psychologists, they can be dangerous.

Describe the issue you're having.

Second hand body modules, engine ECUs and fobs can be bought as a set and transplanted.

Tell us more.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where r they located at bcuz I took my rover to a shop and was told my becm needs to be replaced also the issue I'm having now is that u can put my vehicle in gear without even having the key in the ignition at all or while the vehicle isn't even started or anything so I need to have someone who's experienced in that and who can fix my truck

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
You're very lucky, most owners in the US have the opposite problem, they can't move out of Park even when the engine is running. It has nothing to do with the BeCM, in fact the BeCM isn't involved in the shift interlock at all, only the brake light switch. On a US market car there is a solenoid that means you can only move the gear selector out of Park with the ignition on and your foot on the brake pedal. On all other models for every other, non-Nanny state country, the shift interlock solenoid isn't even there and it is perfectly normal to be able to move the gear lever without needing the ignition on. Usual advice to US owners when it starts to play up leaving them unable to move the lever out of Park is to convert the car to rest of world spec and remove the stupid thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
Engine light is controlled by the engine ECU, again, nothing to do with the BeCM. If you list the faults you have with what is working and what isn't, we may be able to tell you what is actually wrong with the car. Having imported around 30 vehicles from the US in the last 10 years, I wouldn't trust the average US 'mechanic' to put air in my tyres and expect it to be right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that my engine light is on and the abs light is on and goes off but the main thing is that u can put the truck in gear without the key which someone can steal my truck without a key and that's not cool at all

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
Engine light being on means that the engine ECU has detected a fault so it needs an OBD reader connecting to see what the fault is and the fault clearing. If it comes back, then you need to deal with whatever has caused it to come on. If it runs OK it is probably nothing serious and due to US legislation, the light will come on with faults that wouldn't even be logged on a rest of world car, such as a loose petrol filler cap.

ABS light comes on with the ignition and goes out once you reach 5 mph. If it comes on when you apply the brakes but goes off after a short time, the brake accumulator needs replacing. ABS light is controlled by the ABS ECU.

As previously said, only US cars have the stupid shift interlock solenoid which means you have to have the ignition on and your foot on the brake to move the lever out of Park, no others do. How does this allow someone to steal the car? They will still need a key to be able to unlock the car and start the engine. The upgrade you have is due to a sticky shift interlock solenoid or someone has already stopped you from getting stuck in Park and removed it.

None of these have any connection with the BeCM, the engine ECU has flagged a fault, the ABS ECU appears to be doing what it should and the solenoid is a simple mechanical fault or improvement depending on how you look at it. You do NOT need a new BeCM.

See here Stuck in Park! for people that would love to have the same 'fault' as you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts