RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my 95 p38 4.0 and have an unexplained battery drain that will flatten the battery overnight. After running the electrical sticky I replaced the battery with new, replaced the alternator with new, and replaced both engine earth cables, alternator and starter cables with new. The Rover now passes the electrical sticky. I then took apart the fuse box, inspected it along with the relays and cleaned it with contact cleaner just in case. I also took the BECM out and separated the boards to check for corrosion or melting and only found a very small bit which was easily removed. Now testing it will all the fuses under the seat pulled I get a draw of .862 amps which drops to .162 after about 30 seconds. There is an audible click when this happens from a relay on the BECM. When I pull maxi fuse 1,4,5 it drops to .002 amps which is my understanding of what it should be when the BECM is asleep. Pulling all of the relays under the hood has no effect on the amp draw.

The original radio does not work, lights on the Hvac controls do not work, and the LH front window is working very slowly. The window switch pack has been cleaned, and all other windows and the sunroof work great.

Where should I go from here? Is there anything that is powered directly from the BECM that could be causing this drain?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
Open your passenger door, trip the latch with a screwdriver and wait for it to go to sleep. Start probing the fuses to which circuit is drawing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RRToadHall. I traced it to fuse 8. Now to dig through Rave and check the electrical diagrams... Going to start with the radio first as the PO had an aftermarket radio installed, which has been subsequently removed. The wiring looked a bit dodgy back there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts