RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sigh.. some must think I am going mad , maybe I am)
On Saturday this italian diesel p38 ( my nightmare one coming back) threw a wobbler after the door latch didn't want to come up.
Turned out staff had badly connected the stiff wire rod.
Back in and it told me 'engine disabled (motor desconectado) '
Before I could even look for the EKA the boss tried to start again and it threw the dreaded 'código incorrecto '.

I said something I better won't translate, took the BECM out after it refused to connect.
Connected it in another (v8) p38.
No talk.
Tried 3 other BECMs.

No luck in both p38s.

Got seriously miffed and took the whole lot home.

While I could nicely unlock the v8 one and check the horrible solder somebody had left on the v8 board I could not see anything wrong with Either settings?

What the heck?

Why on earth is it telling me it disabled, has a wrong eka etc if thus clearly is fine?

Before I put it back in the respective cars I will make a clone of each, v8 and Diesel.

But where else would be any setting that stores lockout or such like?

Would really love to hear your thoughts.

Pics..
1 diesel 1997 , italian
2 v8 1996 probably from Guatemala
3 weird solder done in Cartago
4 how I read it out

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have unlocked 3 more BECM s and made 2 into clones.

What else could go wrong.. still mystified why I had again no communication with *only* the BECM.
No there are no bad connectors in that side.
All well routed and connected and protected

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
Holy [email protected]+*, that’s the worst soldering I’ve ever seen, did they stand 6 foot back and throw it at the board,,
i know you play with lots of p38s, have you checked the footwell connectors, seems strange that was ok, now throwing a fit,

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy [email protected]+*, that’s the worst soldering I’ve ever seen, did they stand 6 foot back and throw it at the board,,
i know you play with lots of p38s, have you checked the footwell connectors, seems strange that was ok, now throwing a fit,
Thanks Chris.. that was my only competition in this country :)))
As you can see I have completely overhauled the cables in the diesel one.

Hence it should work. ... well unless it is [email protected] minded..

The v8 belongs to a very tight old git. I am not too keen on doing his stuff for free.

What I am starting to think is.. are there any intelligent , storage equipped bits in the door outstations.

When this happened before the BECM had locked itself out after mucking around with the door locks. So I unlocked it and did the cables. And..
This one has new locks from Marty

Only this time it was exactly as I had written the settings in the first place 2 months ago. Unlocked normal and disarmed.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You will find this issue when the wires between the OBDII port and Becm have been damaged. Happened to me!
Pull off the door sill plate and extract the wiring harness from the channel. remove the lousy factory tape holding the bundles together, and look for broken, or nicked insulation. In time, with this factory installed issue, the wires will corrode and break inside the vinyl sheath. The moron who damaged mine was aware of his mistake as he put more lousy tape on the cuts to hide them!

Oh, these wires are damaged, when a nitwit at the factory closes the door on the harness whilst it is hanging out of the door and before the door rubber molding is installed......
You can, of course ring out the wires from the OBDII plug and the BECM before opening it up for a look.
I found 5 cables cut in 2 places when I looked at my 02.......

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear Bolt
Thank you for your feedback.
In the photo in my 2nd post you can see what I did with the cables.
I had measured and checked every one going to the BECM. Didn't use tape but nicely wrapped them .
Unless there has been a mouse in there it isn't likely to be broken.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ahhh, I did indeed note the very nice wrap job.
Now you have encased them, have you checked for continuity for the OBDII to Becm?
I had to actually pull on each wire to find the 2 that were broken, as they were not obvious on inspection..... On VERY close inspection I found 3 more that were damaged, including an aerial lead that, once properly spliced, got the stereo working on a LOT more stations.
If you do indeed have continuity end to end on the wires, then you do indeed have quite a mystery!
With your level of skill and knowledge of Becms, you could always try the "Vulcan Mind Meld" approach.....solder wires directly on to the board to connect with your BBS unit?
Skip the OBDII port entirely. Can't talk then?? Call Colin, as your FM may have an issue?.......

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bolt yes with sm035 it works. But in the car it doesn't. Doesn't talk to Hawkeye either.

What I can't understand is why I got the lockout message.
And why I had that message in the other car.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Aloha,
Sorry if I seem to be flogging an deceased equine here, however.....
In the lower left corner of the last photo, I see what appears to be the bundle of wires I am talking about emerging from under the sill plate........Still appearing to be wrapped in a spiral of tape.
Have you removed the stainless steel "Range Rover" sill plate and checked the wires beneath?
That is where the wires from OBDII run to the BECM.
And, to be thorough, I have to ask again, if you have actually tested the wires in question for continuity from OBDII to BECM?
Posit: A broken wire, or one shorting to earth, or indeed another wire ~may~ be capable of altering programming or throwing odd errors??
We shall have to wait for Marty, or Dr Scott to alight for a few moments to confirm that wild theory!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am doing that right now.
Don't like splice s213 and s214 that much.
Will revise it.
As for my cables.. the spiral tape one goes to the back lights.

Here is c255

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,216 Posts
Definitely a strange one...

Silly question, have you done a check of the latch microswitches? I know they are refubished latches from me, but if they've had the rod on it the wrong way, I'm just hoping it hasn't put stress on the latch and damaged something internally.

If the latch is OK, then have you tried connecting the battery, waiting for the KEYCODE LOCKOUT to disappear, and then unlocking it with the key in the door (or maybe trying 4x turns to lock to go into EKA mode, and then one turn to unlock - though in theory with the EKA disabled, you should be able to just unlock it and it will disarm).

The other thing to try if it's coming up keycode lockout, then maybe try turning the EKA on, and reprogramming it to something simple like 1212, so that way it can be entered in the door, and see if it it then sorts itself out.

To my knowledge there is nothing stored in the outstations - they are just dumb terminals for the BECM - all the computing/storing of info is done in the BECM (I haven't found an EEPROM in the outstations or things like window switchpack either which would store any info).

So one vehicle has had multiple BECM's in it and none of them will communicate via OBD?

·
Registered
222 Posts
So one vehicle has had multiple BECM's in it and none of them will communicate via OBD?
That all points to a vehicle specific issue, be it a wiring fault or corroded connector terminals.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to you all.
The v8 is sort of sorted, there was this wondrous solder cluster which had caused a nice short. After mucking around with it for a while it started nicely, only it switches the hazards on when you touch the wiper .
Then you can't switch them off because it thinks the inertia switch is dead.
Doesn't have any other effect but the indefinite flash..
If I could get the idiots who mucked up that logic board!

The other one has been checked over again and yes my cables are fine in the diagnostic circuit and everything that comes and goes to the BECM.
The only thing I haven't had out yes is the connector in the driver side a post.. which is the other side of the car and connects door outstation to BECM.
After that I might need a nice shot of malt which won't sort it but at least will let me sleep

·
Registered
222 Posts
After that I might need a nice shot of malt which won't sort it but at least will let me sleep
Have 2 and sleep on it. You will get to the bottom of it.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marty, I need your help here.. The door lock works fine when moving the key forward as in unlock bu no in lock mode. Button does not come down and no continuity when going in this direction.
( I feel like dumping someone in a barrel of old engine oil :oops: )

Any ideas how I can fix this. Door lock is coming out right now.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fixed this issue but message stays on the dash and it completely ignores what I do in the door lock.
Also the message does not go away. Not after a minute, not with key in the ignition lock not with anything.

Please keep in mind she started just finefor two months and the cables are really nicely dried out and fine

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,216 Posts
OK, so the door latch does what?

CDL switch shows a connection when unlocked, but not when locked? This is normal
Key switch shows a connection when turning key to unlocked, but NOT when turned to locked?

What happens when you wait for the lockout message to disappear?

Is the EKA enabled on this vehicle, or not? I'm wondering if it's disabled - try enabling it and then once keycode lockout had disappeared, try entering the EKA to see if it will reset it to a state of happiness

I'm wondering if the door latch has been damaged internally by the rod being around the wrong way, or something like that. Especially as how the key switch operates - if it only triggers in one direction of turning then something inside the latch might have gone ping and stopping it from actuating properly.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It works in both directions now.
Still does the same thing and I can not here any clicks in the car while somebody else is turning the key

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,216 Posts
Hmm, OK, so going from the picture of the outstation you sent me - something in that has fried.

Does the message on the dash disappear when the vehicle has been sitting for awhile, or does it just stay there forever?

I would try disconnecting the faulty outstation. Swap the RHF outstation into the LHF door, and hook it up to the door latch. Leave the RHF door without an outstation for the moment.

I'd then connect the battery up, expect the lockout message on the dash, and then leave it all connected overnight (maybe hooked up to a battery charger to be sure) and just leave it and see if the lockout message eventually goes away.

I'm not sure how true it is, but it has been said that on earlier vehicles the lockout message will end up being there for longer every time. I thought it was just 30mins on any vehicle - but it can't hurt to leave it all connected and see what happens.

The next thing I'd then try is disconnecting all of the multiplugs from the BECM except the instrument cluster one, so you can see what's going on, and try it with that, in case there is something weird going on in one of the looms that's freaking the BECM out when it gets plugged in.

That would be my next step... trying to start from the total bare bones of what's needed and working up from there. Either way the fried outstation needs replacing!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you..
I had already done that.. swapped the rh one.
Maybe I said it in my PM.
But the message is still there. I will try your overnight thing.
How do I go about entering the code, I bought 2 toggle switches and a push one and made a plan.

I have to this day never figured out where the 'wrong Code ' or alarmed state is stored.
But I know that connecting another BECM doesn't help.

There is another weird thing I have learnt.
I restarted and resynced a GEMS p38 3 months ago. When I got there I found that the outstation was disconnected.
I connected it to sync and to do EKA

Then the client disconnected it again because it keeps blowing a window winder fuse.

Recently it lost battery charge and it was parked for an engine issue.

When he wanted to start it didn't. Turned out something in the engine wiring.

Well you won't believe this but it started perfectly without connecting the door outstation on the driver side.

So what is the protocol..
How do I reconnect this BECM to get rid of the message.
Hawkeye connects but Faultmate says it is locked out and no diagnostics.

When I did connect it with SM035 it was not alarmed.

Hence I am convinced there is something outside the BECM playing up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts