RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Range Rover, North American, with Bosch Motronic is out of synch. It happened to me about 6 months ago. Drove car. Parked car and when I try it start it nothing. Nothing abnormal in the instrument cluster. Last time this happened I investigated if the starter was getting any voltage. It was not. I had mistakenly set off the alarm when this happed before and after I entered in the EKA code all was well. This time I set off the alarm and entered in the EKA code but no luck. I have entered it again without setting the alarm and still no luck. I'm seeing all the correct hazard lights flashing and the locks going into super lock and unlocking the super locks but still the BeCM and ECU is out of synch.

Any ideas besides buying a Synch-Mate from Blackbox Solutions?

Also, will not Nanocom perform the function of the Synch-Mate as well as everything else the Nanocom does.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard, I borrowed a Nanocom from a friend. It will communicate with the BeCM. I can see my EKA code and all the other information. But when I press on the Modtronic ECU it gives me an Error message "Error: Unable to start communications with the ECU...)

I checked the fuze under the seat and I swapped the replay for the #19 position with a couple of other relays including one I took the cover off of so I can test if the relay is good.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
384 Posts
the gems and bosch ecu are different, is the nano for gems if so you can purchase the code to open up the bosch component if that is the issue

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What engine is the Nanocom licenced for? Mine is licenced for GEMS and while it will do all the other functions on a Thor, it won't connect. So if the one you borrowed is licenced for a GEMS, it won''t connect.

Edit to say that mad as beat me to it.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, yes my P38 is Modtronic 2001 as well as my friends is a 2001 P38 with Modtronic.

Maybe the ground for the ECU is not making good contact...Do you know its location.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Or just a bad connection in the OBD socket. If you have had water getting in through the pollen filter housings it drips down onto the back of the socket. Drop the panel and see if there is corrosion in there.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Also check the large white connector behind the RH kick panel (next to the inertia cut off switch), the wiring for the OBD socket goes through that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Nano is unlocked for both the GEMS and Thor (Modtronic). You might want to double check which option you used as I have used the wrong one before.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Also, Nano is a bit particular about how you access the various ECUs (actually it's not Nano that's the problem). Each ECU esp EAS and HEVAC like to be entered one a time - it is safest (to get a clean session) between interrogations to put the ignition back to zero. Also "x" out of all the nano menus and power the nano down before just yanking the lead out, if you don't you'll most likely blow a 5A fuse under the hood.
So with the engine ECU, try and make sure that is the only thing you are entering that session. Plug in the nano (it shd power up), then ignition, start the car, and then select Motronic etc etc. I only mention this because I still remember getting my Nano for the first time and it was complicated to understand its foibles. BBS have rudimentary pdfs on their website for each module, which explains each of the settings, which are worth a read

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the saga continues.

I took out the engine ECU and cleaned the connections, unpluged the connections that lead to the ODB2 port and plugged in the Nano.

It could now communicate with the ECU.

The engine ECU and the BeCM are showing the same immobilization code.

I’ve worked with the Nano, used the Emulator online and checked out all their literature.

I don’t see anywhere on the Nano where it synchs the BeCM and the engine ECU like their Synch-mate.

I’m going to buy a Synch-mate since it’s only about $100 so it’s worth a gamble since this would probably be less than a diagnostic charge if I took it to an shop.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
145 Posts
In Nano for GEMs you need to go to the Utilities, where you Reset adaptive values and find Security Learn mode. For Motronic I guess the menu layout will be similar

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.

The P38 just started. I did nothing since working with the Nano earlier in the day.

I guess I have a short somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so I can't keep well enough alone and now the P38 will not start.

After driving it a couple of time and turning it on and off multiple times I decided to plug the Nano into it and take pictures of the screen in the engine ECU and the screen for the BeCM showing the immobilization code.

After that instead of pulling the plug out of the ODB2 port I went to power down. When I powered down it did something because the instrument cluster made a sound. Now it does not start again.

Also, I had it wrong before when the Nano could not communicate with the ECU. The Nano can communicate with the BeCM with the keys out of the ignition but to communicate with the engine ECU you need to be in the ignition and at leased turned to the first position.

I tried doing the learn to "Learn Security Code" in the Utility section of the Motronic ECU but nothing seems to happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, to communicate with the BeCM the ignition needs to be off, dash will beep and come up with Diagnostic Mode. To communicate with the engine ECU, the ignition needs to be on position 2 or the engine running. Until the ignition is in position 2, there's no power to the ECU so it isn't going to do anything. To use the Learn Security Code function, you enter that then give it a code by pressing the unlock button on your keyfob so it receives a code that it can learn.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Richard for the help with this. I'm still not having any luck.

When I tried the unlock button after pressing Learn Security Code and error message came up.

After that I unplugged the battery, installed a different BeCM, Engine ECU and instrument panel I had sources from a salvage yard with from the same year and engine as my 2001 NAS P38.

ECU and BeCM immobilizer code both matched.

Would not start either.

There seems to be something not wanting the BeCM and ECU to work together.

I just put back the original BeCM, ECU and instrument cluster so I'm back were I started.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Stop swapping bits. You need a matching set of BeCM, engine ECU, Instrument cluster, locks and fobs. Fobs and BeCM are matched so if you've swapped the BeCM but aren't using the fobs that match that BeCM it'll never work.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
My idea would be to take it to someone that knows what they are doing with the software available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts