RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am looking at a 4.6 HSE with no BECM, I have had a few rangies now but im not too clued up on these parts, am i right in assuming that if i buy a secondhand becm, ignition barrel, drivers door lock and keys (all from the same car) this will work,

Would it be plug and play or would it need pairing up after fitting?

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

If you do not want a trip to the dealer to synch the new becm you also need the engine ecu. This means that you can only us becm from cars that have the same engine type as the vehicle it is intended for. If you have diagnostics you can use any becm and set the engine type and synch with the engine ecu.

You probably know already that the milage of the highest value in the new becm or the speedo will be used to update both ecu's.

regards

Jos

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, im not fussed if it has to go on a t4, as theres a local independent land rover garage by me i use,

Am i right in thinking as long as the becm is from a 4.6 engined car it does matter if its later then the car it going in to? or wont the bosch becm's work on the gems ignition which is what this one is as its a 96 HSE.

Last question do i have to buy one thats unlocked or can the garage unlock it for me on there t4 machine?

Thanks again

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also will a BECM from a 4.0 hse work or does it need to be 4.6?

Thanks

·
Registered
931 Posts
AFAIK T4 cannot unlock a BECM.For that you need the Blackbox direct CPU module. :shhh:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
Another option is to get a used BeCM, have it unlocked by one of many unlocking services and reuse the other components from the Rangie (engine ECU, locks, etc.). If this is the case you are not limited to a non Bosch donor BeCM since this is a programmable feature. Keeping the original lockset will also make it easy to get duplicate fobs and keys from the dealer in the future.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
If the BeCM is unlocked it can be programmed for any vehicle in any market with any marketing. The only exception is outside fo the united states where lowline BeCMs exist for base model rigs with no sunroofs etc. Here in the States this is not an issue.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's impossible just to swap a becm over from one vehicle to another. There are four different types of becm, 2 x lowline & 2 x highline.

Whatever you do, don't start replacing door locks & ignition barrels, ecu's etc. It will cause all sorts of problems later, that's if you can get the vehicle to work.

I'll be more than happy to talk you through the options & the best route to take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts