Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Beast" needs Exhaust Manifold. Part Compatibility Clarification..

I had my mechanic verify that the pass side exhaust manifold has a crack in the accordion area in our new-to-us 2000 RR V8 4.6 (affectionately named "Beast" by the fam :))

1. I believe that a head gasket is in my future. Does it make more sense to do these both at the same time? PO said head gasket was done at 80k and truck now has 121k. Is that unusual that HG replacement would start to leak after only 40k?

2. Since new exhaust manifolds are $800+ and used ones are $150ish, it seems like I could replace 3-4 used ones and still be ahead of the game. This isn't a daily driver, but am I missing something? Set me straight if I'm going down the wrong path. I'm sure this is going to come down to opinion, but I'm all ears (and extra thank you's for anecdotal info!).

3. I'm getting conflicting info about what exhaust manifold is compatible with my car. Some say that any p38 v8 manifold will fit, other places are showing only 99-02 manifolds being compatible. Can anyone confirm if older ones are cross compatible? :?

On a positive update... It stopped raining for a day so I finally got the roof rack fitted! 265/65/18 tires coming soon!

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Re: "Beast" needs Exhaust Manifold. Part Compatibility Clarification..

Exhaust manifolds are interchangeable across all petrol P38s. I for one have installed used manifolds with no issue. Oddly, some suppliers split their parts between GEMS and Bosch even though they are the same piece. That maybe where the misinformation comes from.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Agree that all exhaust manifolds are the same. What makes you think it might need a head gasket? For one to only last 40k is surprising, in fact, needing to be changed after 80k is a bit soon too unless there is an underlying problem that is causing a failure. Think of the head gasket as a fuse, it blows to protect the head and block from damage if something goes wrong. That something would usually be an overheat that causes the head to distort or one that was fitted badly in the first place. Does it use coolant? Does it pressurise the cooling system?

·
Registered
108 Posts

try these folks

Winston Auto Wrecking
390 SE Main St.
Winston, OR 97496

Phone: 888-679-5625 / 541-679-5625
Fax: 541-679-1190

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Exhaust manifolds are interchangeable across all petrol P38s. I for one have installed used manifolds with no issue. Oddly, some suppliers split their parts between GEMS and Bosch even though they are the same piece. That maybe where the misinformation comes from.
That’s great news. Thanks!

What makes you think it might need a head gasket? For one to only last 40k is surprising, in fact, needing to be changed after 80k is a bit soon too unless there is an underlying problem that is causing a failure. Think of the head gasket as a fuse, it blows to protect the head and block from damage if something goes wrong. That something would usually be an overheat that causes the head to distort or one that was fitted badly in the first place. Does it use coolant? Does it pressurize the cooling system?
(thankfully) there is no coolant loss at all. One side has an oil leak. We’ve driven it about 3k miles and it is burning or leaking only about ½ qt. In the last month it has increased to where there is a visible spot on the ground overnight. Nothing dramatic, I just assumed that it would need to be addressed sooner than later. I also have VW Van's (notorious for leaking with engine basically on it's side) so I was hoping to make this car the one that didn't go around marking it's territory. :)

try these folks -- Winston Auto Wrecking, Winston, OR 97496
I’ll give them a shout. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Highly unlikely that an oil leak is coming from a head gasket. The only oil ways there are the feed up to the rocker gear and they are towards the centre of the engine. Most likely place it will leak is from the rocker cover gaskets which will dribble down and look like it is coming from the head gasket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Highly unlikely that an oil leak is coming from a head gasket. The only oil ways there are the feed up to the rocker gear and they are towards the centre of the engine. Most likely place it will leak is from the rocker cover gaskets which will dribble down and look like it is coming from the head gasket.
I bet you nailed it. I had no idea so I did a little quick reading and it seems that it can be as simple as loose bolts on the rocker covers! I'll check it out this weekend. If that turns out to be true I will be immediately changing mechanics. Head gasket was his diagnosis. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts

The flexi bit in the manifold doesn't flex *much* when the engine is running, even when it's hot. You might get away with just welding it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts