RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have used this site a bunch and found most of whatever i needed most times, this site is great!
But I am running out of ideas with this one. theirs a couple things i suspect at this point is all connected to a BCeM issue

i have 1998 p38 SE (no navigation) truck is stock

Outside rear view mirrors - they function just fine.. except the drivers side mirror does not return when it tilts for reverse.
Its finicky! Most Times: is tilts in Reverse.. but does not return when put back in drive. Recently it has started tilt in a upwards direction when put in reverse.

the truck has had this issue with rear mirrors since i purchased the truck 2 years ago. everything else has gradually started these issues since beginning of this last summer.

Blower Motors - have start going in and out. in most cases one would assume that its the motors themselves.. but the two motors seem to come and go in syn.
By go I mean stop running, one time i was just leaving home and suddenly theirs was a minor click an the motors just stopped. HVAC still running everything else still working(can feel the heat minor thru vents) but no blower motors. once again its finicky and sometimes it works an sometimes it doesn't. For this I have checked grounds, fuses, relays.
Like i said i would suspect it to be the motors but the 2 of them always shut off or come on together. so they seem to function fine.

Windows Not Staying Set - this is super recent last week or two. Il get in my truck an start up as usual an suddenly 1 one the windows will need to be set(usually its the drivers window) but iv set them many times an had to re-set one on an off when it does this. - Possibly need new battery? (Last time the truck was tuned up i was told the battery will need replacing sooner than later)

All in all, I suspect my BCeM is failing, but i know very little. any input would be great.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Then get the battery checked (or buy a tester), and replace it.

Blower motors are driven directly from HEVAC, so will not be BECM. Check the related connections & earthing.

Mirror issue will be either bad connections or the potentiometers not providing correct position info.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would check the lead from battery to fuse box, have a sniff around the fuse box to check for a burning smell, if there ok I’d be looking at earths. I had my fuse box or lead go a few weeks back, suddenly lost all power on an unlit road in the dark, ( scary to say the least) I swapped over to a spare I had.. the window symptoms point at a power loss, same as the blowers, the fuse boxes are known to fail..

·
Registered
288 Posts
I doubt it is the BeCM. You would likely have more serious problems if that was the case. I am thinking bad grounds or a bad connector somewhere. If this is happening while the engine is running I don't think the battery is at fault since the alternator would be providing all the voltage and current you would be needing. Aside from checking all the grounds you need to study the electrical system wiring diagrams to see what connectors are involved. At least these are pretty minor problems compared to other things...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
with regards to mirrors, do a search on the stickies it is a documented failure. all due honesty its one of those failures many of us just don't bother to repair, mirror dip is a wonderful novelty but that is where it ends. it can be turned off or disabled thru the seal buttons. google will have the info.
all the other stuff as Chis and Pwood mentioned it is linked to engine fuse box and battery power feed.

its on the RAVE.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,174 Posts
I doubt you have a BECM issue as, with the exception of the window setting, none of the other things you mention actually go through the BECM

As people have already mentioned - the mirror dip is known for failing, and this is usually due to the potentiometers in the mirrors themselves. Unfortunately I don't believe these are replaceable separately as they are built into the motor. I just turned the mirror dip off on mine.

Blowers - check in the RHF Footwell, behind the kick panel on the outer side of the footwell. There is a connector in there which has 2 big this wires in it, which is the power feeds from the fuse box under the bonnet to the blower motors themselves. I've seen a number of times this connection becoming corroded, including into the copper of the wire itself, which can cause issues with power getting to the blower motors.

Again, as others have suggested, check the fuse box.

The window is a bit of a strange one, but could be something such as low voltage, from a flat battery, or something in the window mechanism, like the regulator or even the motor. The motors seem pretty reliable, but the regulators are known for damaging teeth, and I've seen a couple which have actually managed to split the metal of the regulator frame too.

It's also worth checking the rubber strip at the front of the door (inside the door itself) which the glass runs in. They are known for falling out, kinking etc which can cause the glass to grab and that can also give window issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for all the respones! Apologies if this seems repetative, as said not super dire issues but good to hear its minor compared to bad BCeM issues. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts