RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we have all seen and heard about this Hawkeye, which if you have been paying attention, now actually turns out to be a bit of smoke and mirrors and costs much more than it first seems. However regardles of that, it is quite clear to us from the many sensibly put forward posts and requests we have recieved over the last few months, that there really is a market for a much cheaper and more basic alternate to our top of the line Faultmate MSV-2 equipment. So just as we did with our EAS kicker, we have put our renowned skill and knowledge to the task, to provide a suitible solution. And now, as is the unwritten custom for me to announce our latest significant developments right here on RangeRovers.net, i can go beyond just a few hints and tell you all that I am finally ready, able, and indeed quite proud, to announce the newest addition to the BBS equipment family in the form of the new FAULTMATE FCR

At launch, this tool will read and Clear Fault codes on any CAN BUS based LR vehicle, however the primary reason for its introduction is to provide a really low cost solution that fully covers all systems on earlier LR vehicles as well, such as the P38, and as such we have committed to a guarantee to add that vehicle model to its already outstanding coverage before the end of January 2010 as well as earlier L322's.

The Faultmate FCR is lightening fast, providing it's list of vehicle systems within a coupe of seconds of being plugged in. After selecting the relevant system using the up, down and Accept button you can instruct it to read or clear the fault codes of that system.

For a list of models and systems availible at launch see here
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/downloads/vehicle_coverage/System_Coverage_by_Vehicle_for_Faultmate_FCR.pdf

for more info on the FAULTMATE FCR see here
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/downloads/Product_literature/Faultmate_FCR.pdf

Naturally the unit is backlit, and easily readable in daylight which is better seen on this picture

It also has a USB port and is supplied with a cable via which it can very easily be updated. And because it is micro controller based, just like our EAS kicker was, it is small and promises to be uber ruggged and dependable and is the ideal size and form to keep in the glove box at all times.

I hope to also do a demo video in the next day or two.

If anyone has any questions, i will be more than happy to answer them :dance:

·
Registered
21 Posts
colin
let me be the 1st to congratulate you and the company.
WELL DONE
presumably when you sell your veichle you can have a code to lock it to your next one ?
failing that for £199 ad it to the price of the car and buy a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway still wel done
regards
steve y

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys.

Yes Paul, it's in the linked literature. :wink:
Provided and priced as a personal use item for individual vehicle owners, the FAULTMATE FCR will lock itself to the VIN of the first vehicle it is used on, however, this feature also acts as a theft deterrent, because there is little point anyone stealing the unit, as once used on a vehicle, as it will not work with any other vehicle.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry h12ssy, forgot your question, and as you say, you were the first :oops:

Yes it is going to be possible to reset its license to another VIN or vehicle type for a small nominal fee.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That looks like a fantastic little product aimed at just the right market.

Ok so onto the questions:

With respect to a P38 Gems - Will it.....

a) - clear EAS faults?
b) - Clear Airbag Faults? and will it tell what the problem is? Will it give a fault code or description or both?
c) - Can you do things like EAS calibration etc?
d) - Will it do the BeCM sync thing when it loses whatever code etc

In fact is it easier to say what it won't do compared to the Faultmate?

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya Sotal
Thanks, we think so, really small, ultra portable, ideal to use in the field and keep in the glove box at all times. The ideal Christmas pressie for any Land Rover Lover really. :wink:

A & B)
The Faultmate FCR is designed and manufactured specifically for reading and clearing all possible fault codes on every system with built in self diagnostic capability on board each Land Rover model it covers.
As stated in the linked literature, :doh: it is a dedicated but low cost portable fault code reader (FCR) for Land Rover vehicles, and so it will read and give you the text meaning for any stored fault codes of any and all on board systems that can store fault codes and also allow you to clear them. It is nothing more, and although it does have fully extensible capabilities, it is certainly not a replacement for our FAULTMATE MSV-2, and its rather extensive capabilities.

As i also stated, P38 and earlier L322's are not expected to be covered on the FAULTMATE FCR until January 2010, for which i apologize. We are not exactly inexperienced newbies at developing this kind of equipment as you all know, but we do still need a little time for the older models as their systems are just that bit more awkward. But at lest you know it is coming.

C) We already make a low cost tool called the EAS Kicker for this.

D) We already make a low cost tool called a Sync Mate for this common problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like I'll be buying one in the new year then - I'll keep an eye on here for when the p38 version is released :thumb:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problemo, :thumb:
And here is always where you will hear it first. :clap:
In fact if anyone else is waiting for the P38 version give us a nod. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
WOW :shock:

This is really great news and it hits the ideal sweet spot on the point of value for money.

And seeing the list of functions it can do this small box packs a huge punch for its size.

You know what i see now, a little bit of business here on LKA :dance:

Good job Colin, and just in time too :thumb: :clap:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
223 Posts
Hi !! Good news!!

Waiting for the "P38 version" :thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd be interested in the P38 version also.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Great news Colin :clap: :clap:

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Colin, when I tried to go to the video I got a no web error... :?

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Hey Colin Very nice can't wait. My concern is, am I selling myself short by purchasing the FCR instead of the Extream. I really need to do more reading about the Extream. I am intimidated by it, but I think once I have it, own it, I can learn it at my own pace. I would like to have the ability to view and make all changes possible.. Then I say to myself do I need everything it has to offer, or would the FCR do. :? :?

Scotty

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hiya Scotty

It really depends upon you and your requirements, if you just want something to keep in the glove box to help out in an emergency type situation, or to give you the ability to tap into the vehicles self diagnostic capability and allow you to see exactly what is wrong, and you are on a budget, then there really is nothing better or more cost effective than the FCR. But if you want to start learning about how your car works, modify the way it works and start looking at sensor data, live values in real time, driving and testing outputs and so on, which is most often invaluable to help actually fix problems, then you want the equipment with the maximum amount of features and capability, which of course means the MSV-2, and really it does not cost that much more. The Extreme version of course can also read and clear fault codes without a PC.

While there is a bit of faffing around getting The MSV-2 system installed, configured and licensed, many hundreds have managed that, even with very limited computer skills, so it really is not that difficult, and there really is loads of help with step by step pictures and so on. And in addition, my technical staff can be called upon via our support forums for one to one help and they really are top notch. But once installed, it really is child's play to use and you will end up spending many happy hours using it and learning all sorts of things you never knew before.

I think it is fair to say that not one single customer has ever been dissapointed in respect of the features and capability any of our equipment provides for the money, but i guess you can see that from the many positive comments on here.

We do get criticism from owners of course, could be easier to install, hardware could be more robust etc, but no one ever says it could possibly do more or that some feature or function is missing or does not work properly etc. But then we have been doing what we do for over 10 years now :dance:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
P.Md you Colin

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Colin, will the FCR be able to reset the service engine light?

Scotty

1 - 20 of 40 Posts