RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my review on the MSV2 Extreme which i got in exchange for the the Omnitec/Bearmach HawkEye. So this would be in comparison to HawkEye and my true feelings about this unit.

I was quite excited to receive the offer & was happy about it. While the item was in transit, I received an email with instructions on how to set-up the device, warnings, cautions etc.
Unfortunately this documentations was crap. It was not straightforward. It was like going circles. & the worst things about this documentation is it overloads the end user with too much information. The main problem being it had no clear guidance with step by step instruction. I would have liked the manual be much simpler & the printed instructions to include simple illustrations of the connection sequence, details of the device such as this button does this etc.

This was one issue i had before having the unit. But after a month's usage I am able to understand the instructions much better than before.
[suggestion1]So I want to ask Colin, to give this unit to someone in person and see his/her reactions regarding the instructions. This should be some who had no experience in diagnostics.

Once i figured everything out i fixed the device to my pc started the installation of the software. & everything else was a breeze. It was easy figuring out which was which and what it did. Was able to access most of the ECU's of my P38 and was able to do what a diagnostic unit should. Unlike my previous review of the HawkEye unit, it's not easy to list down what it can do as it would need pages to write down the list.

In a nutshell i'm really impressed of this unit, the ability to diagnose every ECU and dig into it's details. Letting us manually control things like blend motors etc.

This does what it says. One of the most comprehensive diag utils available out there.

This concludes the part 1 of my review. I'll be posting the comparisons and my thoughts next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gayan Hi from Greece,

I happened to land upon your posting while I was doing some research on the opinion that users of the BBS FAULTMATE MSV2 happen to have for this unit.

We already have two fellow members of the LR Club of Greece that have bought the MSV2 and a third one who has just acquired it. The first owner has acquired his system a year ago and has even tested it during an expedition in Libya with his LR3. All of them are happy with their selection up to now. Their input is that the system needs some carefull reading of the instructions and set-up procedure but from then on the possibilities are vast and the capabilities are astonishing.

It would be extremely kind of you to provide us with your input after "living" with the MSV2 for more than a year now.

Here in Greece we are currently involved in a discussion related to diagnostic equipment and we would be very interested to know what you think of the MSV2, especially when comparing it to the Hawkeye.

In order to put the record straight from the beginning I will state that I have been assigned as the distributor of the BBS products in Greece but I always do so for companies that provide the best equipment and client support. Up to now my experience with BBS is exactly that but I am always eager to learn on whether other fellow Land Rover owners around the world believe the same.

Your input is extremely appreciated

Best regards
Pantelis Giamarellos
LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

·
Registered
71 Posts
BBS say that you have to have some experience with computers, which i did, but running a computer as an administrator and going into Windows along this path is a little disconcerting for a Mac user like me. We get spoiled and used to plug and play...

Anyway, ive had the gear for 6 months now. I think it is the finest highest quality gear going. Designed by engineers that really know their stuff. However, it appears the engineers also wrote the instructions on how to use it and expect new users to be as proificient as they are in computer engineering. In fact for the first few times you use you feel lost and bewildered and the "HELP" forums are more frustrating than anything.

I truly hope that BBS fix the customer interface with the company and the poor way they are keeping up with the computers sold today, windows 7 etc.. If they dont, i fear they will falter and that is sad indeed. The gear itself is simply brilliant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts