RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help in choosing a new battery for my P38 1999. The battery in it was put in by the last owner, it's five years old, it can't be correct as it is not sealed which they normally are, it has also leaked which is annoying.

I have read so many posts on the internet, that I am now really confused. I'm after a recommendation from fellow P38 owners, I thought I would explain how the car is used which will hopefully help narrow down what type of battery I need.

It's my second/weekend car, used once every 2/3 weeks. When it is used it's for trips to the local shops or out to lunch. Every two months or so I may do a long trip into work or to a friends house, where driving would be 90 minutes there and 90 minutes back. It's also my backup car when my work car is being serviced or when there is snow on the roads.

Recently the battery was almost flattened (only just started) when we had a CD playing for 1 hour or more, when outside at my friends house. I had to go off on a job so my girlfriend drove it home and parked it pointing into my driveway, she couldn't lock it as it kept saying ignition key in. It then went flat 2 weeks later.

Because of how it is parked I can't get jump leads onto it. I hooked up my CTEK Smart Charger and left it for two days, it's still dead, no interior lights at all. I need it sorted now and figure it's time to get a new battery.

The car is all stock, no winches or spot lights. Soon it will have a SatNav upgrade like this one; http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/33455-p38-navigation-ipod-integration-installed-clean.html

I was planning to get and Optima Red Top, but then figured a Yellow Top might work better as the car isn't regularly used. I then read on other posts that some Discovery owners favour DieHard Platinum over the Yellow Tops. I then read elsewhere that Optima's were overrated and were expensive because of all the advertising Optima do.

Am interested to know what members are using in their P38's and what they would recommend?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: Battery Replacement Recommendation Optima, DieHard or other?

ive always been a fan of interstate. Its the one i chose for my 968 as well

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts

i have an interstate in my BMW. Which sites for long periods of time in the winter months. Very good batteries as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

I too am an interstate fan because they have an outlet just a few miles away and I can oftem pick up full warranty new batteries for folks at half the retail price. As that may not be an option across the pond I am not sure what to recommend other than Bosch batteries. Bosch are really starting to take hold around here. My last two noninterstate battery installs were Bosch and they were a fraction the proice of anyone else and have been terrific.

All I know from reading and limited experience is that Optima products were all the rage about 4 years ago and now many folks won't touch em. I found them to be way over priced for what you get.

·
Registered
405 Posts

I had to go off on a job so my girlfriend drove it home and parked it pointing into my driveway, she couldn't lock it as it kept saying ignition key in. It then went flat 2 weeks later.
Not to hijack the thread, as I am in the same boat and I am interested in what others have to say. However, did you ever get that issue sorted out? Mine did the same thing to me about a week ago, but after restarting the vehicle it stopped. Do you know what caused it?

As for the batteries, would it ever be beneficial to run a normal battery as well as a deep cycle battery? If so, should I stick with the same brands? I have a normal (3-4 year old) Interstate battery now, and I'm looking into getting a deep cycle one as well for winching and lighting and recreational audio (without running the car).

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, as I am in the same boat and I am interested in what others have to say. However, did you ever get that issue sorted out? Mine did the same thing to me about a week ago, but after restarting the vehicle it stopped. Do you know what caused it?
Keyway/barrel sticks. This keeps the BeCM from going to sleep. Common and often covered including cleaning tips.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Afternoon from a fellow englishman,
Ring or do a search for Bristol Batteries they may have a stockist near you or alternatively do a search for the following battery., I just bought an Avon 640 from them I think it was 1000ca 100ah. It just fits in the space nicely and almost starts the car before I turn the key (Diesel). Instead of having the terminals in the corners it has what they call centre posts so it saves having to pull the leads to fit the battery.
Got one fitted on our Discovery 2 as well, excellent bit of kit.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

As for the batteries, would it ever be beneficial to run a normal battery as well as a deep cycle battery? If so, should I stick with the same brands? I have a normal (3-4 year old) Interstate battery now, and I'm looking into getting a deep cycle one as well for winching and lighting and recreational audio (without running the car).[/QUOTE]

I was told if you run two batteries they should always be the same?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Afternoon from a fellow englishman,
Ring or do a search for Bristol Batteries they may have a stockist near you or alternatively do a search for the following battery., I just bought an Avon 640 from them I think it was 1000ca 100ah. It just fits in the space nicely and almost starts the car before I turn the key (Diesel). Instead of having the terminals in the corners it has what they call centre posts so it saves having to pull the leads to fit the battery.
Got one fitted on our Discovery 2 as well, excellent bit of kit.

Dave
Thanks Dave, although everyone has recommended the Interstates, there just not available over in the UK. Bristol Batteries look great but I'm in Hampshire so they are not that near to me. The Avon 640 sounds great and I like the idea of centre posts too, I'm seeing if I can get the model in at a local auto shop or Halfrauds.

Thanks for all the info guys.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts

I have an Alphaline battery in my P38.

I bought it from www.batterymegastore.co.uk about a year ago.

Looking back on my records, the model number was a C31-750. 115Ah with 750CCA. Has been fine so far!

Their current model is a MF31-750 - price is £84.95, and I think that includes next day delivery in the UK.
They have the next size up with is an MF31-1000 - for £99.95, and is rated at 130AH, with 1000CCA

I did a search on their website for Land Rover, Range Rover, P38, 2001 - and they were the results it came up with.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

OP I think your searching for a perfect product that could be rendered useless if you don't deal/check the common causes of poor charging and drain. Check (via homepage sticky) your important cables (Alternator>Battery, Battery>ground, Engine>ground, Starter>Battery). Your Alternator (same Sticky) and your RF receiver and any item keeping the BeCM awake. I've had the 072 from Halfords (not cheap) and this didn't last long because of the above reasons.

While doing these items may seem dull and boring and does not give the instant (but potentially short lived) results and gratification of a new battery, they will provide the foundations that will give whatever battery you do choose the best chance of a long service life and because if this you can get away with a lot less. Mine is 069 (no idea of make) from the local motor factors that i could carry back.

Like yourself i only use mine sporadically and in fits and starts, easily over a week sometimes two may go by. Although it's been asked to put up with these conditions for nearly 18 months now and (touch wood) has not once failed to start (or hinted it was struggling) even in this cold weather after having been left for a considerable time. This however will no doubt take its toll (on any battery) that is constantly being drained to a sufficient level.

I had been initially concerned about the charging so much so I started to build a solar panel for it but it actually has been fine and has not been needed, although i will finish/install it (one day). Something like this maybe needed if you were to regularly push it into the 3 week period but as I've yet to leave it that long I don't know, it'd be interesting to see how far it can go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have an Alphaline battery in my P38.

I bought it from www.batterymegastore.co.uk about a year ago.

Looking back on my records, the model number was a C31-750. 115Ah with 750CCA. Has been fine so far!

Their current model is a MF31-750 - price is £84.95, and I think that includes next day delivery in the UK.
They have the next size up with is an MF31-1000 - for £99.95, and is rated at 130AH, with 1000CCA

I did a search on their website for Land Rover, Range Rover, P38, 2001 - and they were the results it came up with.

Cheers,
Marty
Hi Marty,

Thanks for the info and link. The battery megastore website looks really good, and I really like the car selector, very handy.

The battery looks like a good one too at 115Ah.
Regards
Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

OP I think your searching for a perfect product that could be rendered useless if you don't deal/check the common causes of poor charging and drain. Check (via homepage sticky) your important cables (Alternator>Battery, Battery>ground, Engine>ground, Starter>Battery). Your Alternator (same Sticky) and your RF receiver and any item keeping the BeCM awake. I've had the 072 from Halfords (not cheap) and this didn't last long because of the above reasons.

Hi Larry,

I couldn't agree with you more. The cables you listed should be checked regularly plus RF receiver and BECM are definite culprits. I have planned to bring the multimeter back from work to run a battery drain test to see if the BECM was going to sleep properly.

Regards
Alex

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts

Hi Alex,

Just as a bit of winter info for you on the alphaline performance...

I Started my RR up today, after it's been sitting for about a week/10 days with no use. It lives outside, in the cold - and I've just cleared 4 inches of snow off it, before heading out today.

Checked the battery voltage before starting it (just out of interest) and was reading 12.20V (the BECM was awake as I'd just unlocked it etc, so there was a small load on it.
Engine cranked 2-3 times (normal it seems for my RR) and it fired right up.

I am at some point planning on replacing my 2nd battery (which I have wired for the boot... I was using the old starting battery as my aux - but once of the cells has failed in it). When I do replace it, I am thinking of putting the current one (115AH) in the boot as the aux, and upgrading to the 130AH as the main battery. Mostly just personal preference, piece of mind etc - but I am pleased with the performance of the current one so far!

Just a bit of current info regarding the battery in the cold, and after having sat there for awhile. My RR is often left outside for a week or 2 at a time if I'm away for work (I think the longest it's sat without being driven is about 5 weeks straight). I've never had an issue with it starting up after being left.

I have upgraded the alarm receiver, to the latest one as I was getting BECM waking issues/battery drain. I have also replaced all of my +ve battery cables under the bonnet, and put a piggyback to all the -ve earth leads under the bonnet too when I was putting the split-charge system in. (I was going to replace the -ve ones but the replacement cable I had was smaller than the factory earth cables, so just doubled them up).

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally had an optima and will not go back to them. Just too many issues with it finally giving up the ghost after a few years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hey guys just a quick update, I took Marty's advice and bought from the batterymegastore.co.uk, I went for the MF31-1000 as it was only £15 more than the MF31-750.

The Avon 640 was my second choice, but I felt the extra cold cracking and amp hours with the MF31-1000 would be more suited for the way I use my Range Rover.

I ordered this afternoon so it should be here on Monday to be fitted along with some cleaned up and tightened terminals, then for some drain tests on the weekend.

Will let you know how I get on.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts

Good stuff...

Let me know how you get on!

I got home after another couple of weeks away for work (and thus neglecting the RR, leaving it sat outside in the cold).. had to drive up to Birmingham today for a meeting, and fired straight up this morning.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
468 Posts

Is there a way you can hook up the smart charger when you're not using it. That way you won't have issues even if you leave it for months

1 - 20 of 24 Posts