RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the OEM battery in my 2013 RRS S/C with a Duralast H7 AGM battery. Is it necessary to have the vehicle programmed to know about the new battery? I’ve read both that it’s necessary so the vehicle can properly charge the battery and also that it’s not required. I used to have a BMW that required it but I don’t know about this one.

Also, as it’s an AGM battery, is it necessary to vent it? As above, I’ve read both that it is necessary and that it isn’t. I think the battery had two vent holes and I was told by the person who installed it that they’re actually dummy holes that serve no purpose on AGM batteries - at least on this particular battery. He said you can connect the vent hose to keep it from dangling but that’s all it does. I had him connect the vent hose anyway just in case. I think the battery has a vent hole on the opposite side but nothing is connected to it and it’s not plugged.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Had my battery changed in Feb, this year. No programming, required. Don't leave your phone charging cord attached to the USB port . . . battery was 15 months old. In hospital ten days (bilateral knees), son used truck, left cord attached; dead beyond recovery after sitting twenty days.

Never needed to program batteries for any of the seven BMW I owned.

Reactions: RRBaroness_Sport

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had my battery changed in Feb, this year. No programming, required. Don't leave your phone charging cord attached to the USB port . . . battery was 15 months old. In hospital ten days (bilateral knees), son used truck, left cord attached; dead beyond recovery after sitting twenty days.

Thanks, all! The BMW I had that required programming was a 2011 550. Seems the car changes how it charges the battery over time and if you replace the battery without telling the car, it will continue to charge it like an older battery and it shortens the battery’s life. I think the dealer charged me $25 for it. I had an independent shop confirm it was true. I can’t remember if the wife’s Merc was the same way. More of a PITA than anything else.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
227 Posts
That honestly doesn't make a lot of sense, since:
- even a $15 battery charger/conditioner is smart enough to charge an AA battery optimally, according to it's actual capacity, so no reason to omit such a small circuit in a $80k car.
- if the battery was to be charged differently over a period of time, it wouldn't take any specific usage scenarios into account. A high-mileage car charges the battery completely different then a weekend toy. So it can not be a time-based reset.

The actual point is totally different. A BMW (and I don't know of any other brand with that requirement but perhaps the Mercedes-Benz does it as well) has two charging modes (they do NOT change over time). One is for a sealed-acid battery, another for AGM-type battery. Only, and ONLY if the stock sealed-acid battery has been replaced with an AGM one, the car can be adjusted to the other charging regime, since the AGM battery - while giving excellent low-temperature crank current - can not be quickly charged with 14.8V, as opposed to a regular sealed-acid battery in a BMW, as an AGM battery has to be limited to 13.8V.

Anyway, charging $25 for a procedure that can be done within 15 seconds using freely available smartphone software and a $3 Chinese bluetooth OBD dongle seems a bit overkill. I bet the dealer charges a premium for filling the tires with nitrogen...

·
Registered
3 Posts

omg. so if I leave my USB's plugged in, with no phone attached, it will drain a battery? wow. that defies electrical theory. Nothing going out.

Now as to everyone's comments on batteries. that is why I joined the forum. I got taken for the first time buying this RR Sport. $3300 in repairs for the first 2 weeks. Then I had the battery replaced. The range for gas went away as did my clock. Clock I was able to program myself (oh and the guy had taken the manual out - I figure he lied...I couldn't even use my RR for weeks - I had to wait to find one on Amazon.. and full manuals are not that easy to find)... so I program the clock, but the instructions on programming the range and how much gas you will need - unsuccessful. The manual says hit the " i " button and then the rest of the steps. Well, I have looked all over this dash and there isn't an "i" button to start the programming. Plus, I called the dealership and they want me to leave it for an entire day (can't live totally alone) AND they want a crapload of money for just THAT - no. I am not a rich lady, especially after a $3300 repair. Btw, never had a major repair on a vehicle EVER. what a shocker. If I hadn't just bought a used commercial truck for 1/2 its value last year I would feel really in the hole.

So, I am seeing the same duplicity here as I heard from others.
Dealership said I had to program the battery to the car - that is the most definitive they were...
Here I am seeing no... and I didn't like the battery my repair shop wanted to put in. It was expensive and did not have the cranking amps that I was able to purchase from AutoZone. With as much idling I do and charging cell phones, etc especially since I have a disability that requires certain things, the cranking amps was very important.

So is there another reason why the range / how many miles won't display?
Because I am traveling 300 miles in 2 weeks to an area I have never traveled before in a vehicle I never drove more than 50 miles one way. No clue on gas stations or distance or my mileage yet.

Thanks Guys and ladies !

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
409 Posts
If you hit the I button - just the lcd display in middle of cluster cycle through different info screens ? Or is it just blank ? I never lost that functionality when I changed my battery - but it is possible things got reset if you left battery disconnected for more than a couple of minutes - and then you need dealer programming tool (or Hawkeye etc) to reset all that .....

and as for bmw charging questions above - most newer ones since 2002-2007 depending on model - need battery registered to vehicle - they try and make battery last longer by altering the charging profile as it ages (alternator duty cycle) - has some minor effect on gas mileage too ....I don’t think the 06-09 rovers need this - newer ones I’m not sure .....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts