RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Completely stumped here. Thurs my ol lady was drivin, and it died. Apparently the battery had gone bad, and was making a mess. A friend of mine who is a decent mechanic was there at the time, and said that the battery that was in there was the wrong one. Its been fine for years, and was news to me. Any way, he went and got another battery(that apparently wasnt the right one either), when he connected that battery I guess it started smoking, and he disconnected it. I went to the interstate store, and got a battery, put that one in, everything lit up, doors lock, and unlock, etc, but engine wont turn over. I can hear the solenoid engaging, but dont hear the starter engaging. Really thinkin about tradin for a exceptionally clean classic right about now.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Pretty much sounds as if you have a "short circuit" that is drawing excessive current from your battery.What is the battery voltage when connected to your P38 with the ignition etc turned off? :naughty:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, getting batteries for the voltage meter now. That will definitely narrow some things down.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
definately complete what you can of the electrical stickie above and report back. It sounds like you have already fried something with the previous battery. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. He fried something is my fear right now. Any idea what couldve fried? I would think a relay, or fuse wouldve gone first. No? Starter maybe? I guess well know more soon, ill be back in a bit, rig is in a parking lot right now.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I hope you can identify what part was smoking. It sounds like the 2nd battery had the voltage to complete the destruction of a shorting piece of something. I hope your friend can find the smoking part. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts