RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the battery in my 2014 RRS SC Dynamic. The dealer is telling me that it must be done by them because the car will loose all of it's module programming with the battery change and everything needs to be reprogrammed. They want $500 for the new battery! Is this true?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wow. That's a good one. You will lose the memory that's in there now but I don't believe you'll need programming. If you're not planning on doing a smog check anytime soon you should be fine to do it yourself.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
LMAO. You will only lose volatile memory... radio settings, maybe stored destinations, seat memory settings and anything paired with each key... personal items. You are not going to lose any factory settings like security/ignition sync, learned adaptive values... these things are stored in non volatile memory and can not be erased by a basic loss of power.

If you don;t want to loose personal settings you can simply hook a battery charge on low setting to your jump posts under the hood. This will maintain basic power while you disconnect the battery fittings and change the battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another option is to buy and use a Memory Saver, simply plug in save memory settings before disconecting the battery then reload settings after changing the battery. Atlantic British stocks them, I think about $12.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Not sure about the Range Rover, but my wife's BMW X3 supposedly needs to be reprogrammed when the battery is replaced. It has something to do with a smart charging system where the computer talks to the alternator to regulate the amount of supplied voltage to charge an old battery vs a new one. This is coming from a friend of mine who is a BMW technician. It is possible to replace the battery without reprogramming, but somehow affects the new battery and alternator life. Again, I have no idea if this the same with the RR.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! I learned a little bit more since my op. As I understand it, when the car is first assembled, the battery is registered to the vehicle. As the time goes by, the battery may throw high and low voltage errors, which are stored in the different modules throughout the car. Most of these errors are ignored, some are not. When they aren't you might start to see multiple warnings appearing on the dash (as if all kinds of different things are starting to fail in the car). When a new battery is installed, the new battery must be registered to the vehicle and the stored information on all the modules must be cleared. This way the new battery doesn't confuse the modules, which might trigger the warnings on the dash.

I found a local shop that has all the right equipment to do the work. Their charge is $130 plus the battery, which is $175. I'm out the door for around $300! I have an appointment on Tuesday :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good to know as I'm looking to change my battery this year. When I was speaking to Chris with VelocityAP, he mentioned there's a battery monitor module that needs to be reset with a scan tool. That must be what you are referring to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts