RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 08 Overfinch (based on the Range Rover Sport). About 2 months ago the battery light showed and I checked the voltage of the battery when the engine is switched on and off, which both returned more than 12V. I took it to the garage to have a look at the problem anyway. They came back to me saying it needs a new alternator and belt replaced, which I paid as it might be a wear and tear issue. However, almost immediately after picking up the car, the battery warning light came on again, and after a few trips the "Suspension fault" message came up along with the yellow suspension warning light. After bringing the car back to the garage, they said the voltage was fine indicating the alternator was working properly, and the battery warning light could be related to suspension malfunctioning.

Any had any experience with that? It is not very logical to have the battery warning light coming on due to a suspension fault?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
You have things backwards. Low voltage causes erroneous faults. Testing only the battery and only having "more than 12v" does not mean you have ample voltage at the battery. Poor connections on cables, resistance in cables, poor grounds or a weak alternator will all rob your battery. Take the time to actually test your entire electrical system and make sure connections at BOTH ens of all cables are spotless. Run through the below link, Yes I know you have an L320 but the basics for charging and the values are the same across all models.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/20369-info-electrical-troubleshooting.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks to your reply. I have taken the test myself and the voltage is 13.4V with no load. The garage is very reluctant though. Just out of curiousity, do I have to go with a Borsch alternator or are there any other good brands that would work with the 5.5 supercharged V8 engine?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
What on earth is the 5.5SC?

I know you have an Overfinch. If they began with a 5.0SC then the ancillaries should be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I was over estimating my engine! Yes it is a 5.0SC, just wondering which brand of alternator should I get for better durability.

Regards,

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
So you have an 08? The 5.0 didn't come out until 2010. The base engine from 06-09 were the 4.4 and the 4.2SC

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
I have had my alternator rebuilt with poor results and went to my local auto parts and picked one up. They will ask for your vehicle specs and should provide a quality alternator. They are easy to replace.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
431 Posts
I got a denso rebuilt alternator for my ‘06 4.4l ... thinking that would be the best quality. That one started failing after less than a year. Went with auto store rebuild with lifetime warranty - so far - no issues ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts