RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove out to the restaurant tonight, and red "battery" light on the dash was flashing intermittently. It would flash for 1 second....then go off for about 15 seconds, then quickly flash again, and so on. It seemed to flash more frequently when under power (1500rpm+), and less - or not at all - when at idle (stopped at the light). I read posts about alternator, and replacement options, but want to know what might be causing it to intermittently flash, and how can I test the alternator? Battery is brand new Bosch 1100cca. Truck 2003, 98xxx miles, 4.4L gasoline. No other error messages. Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
since you have the BMW, it's likely the alternator -- even though it's a picture of a battery - in BMW terms it means the alternator

I got about 95,000 miles out of my alternator on my M3 - and only about 45k miles on the RR before it left me stranded in the ghetto at 3:00 am in the wonderful Range Rover

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Your Alternator is going. Although it looks difficult to change out, it really isn't that hard, and will save you about $500 in labor. Oh and mine lasted just over 155K... We were stranded about 25 miles from home, by recharging the battery with jumpers we were able to get home. I recharged the battery. It died the next day, with out running the Rove. So it turned out that it was a diode in the alternator sucking off the battery power.

Mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts