RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently my battery has been going dead overnight. I've been having to jump start it every day now. I haven't checked to see if the battery is bad yet.

My car is parked outside my apartment and my roommate was outside and he came in and said he saw my "flashers" come on (meaning both turn signals at the same time) then he said he went to look again and they were off.

Question: Has anyone heard of this happening, or have any ideas of what could be causing this?

....by his observation my flashers could be coming on in the night and killing my battery by the morning.
...this all sounds very weird

Thanks,
Garrett

·
Registered
229 Posts
You need a new RF receiver. Make sure that you get the late type. The part number begins with a Y.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nipper said:
You need a new RF receiver. Make sure that you get the late type. The part number begins with a Y.
Hmmm in the mean time can I just disconnect it?
Is the receiver a little box right above the sub in the trunk?

Thanks,
Garrett

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hmmm in the mean time can I just disconnect it?
Is the receiver a little box right above the sub in the trunk?
Yep, its in the boot on the passenger side of the vehicle. Fold the seats down and remove the top cover. Then disconnect the connector on your left, I believe. Or at least the one that looks like it goes to an antenna :D .

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
:think: Why would the RF receiver be causing the flashers to come on? Stray radio interferrence would wake up the BeCM and cause battery drain. However aren't the hazards are activated by grounding the signal line from the hazard switch to the BeCM?

·
Registered
229 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
:think: Why would the RF receiver be causing the flashers to come on? Stray radio interferrence would wake up the BeCM and cause battery drain. However aren't the hazards are activated by grounding the signal line from the hazard switch to the BeCM?
I had stray signals causing the battery to go flat within 90 min. because it was waking the BECM. It was turning on the indicators, not flashing but on all the time.Sometimes I would also get the engine dissabled message. Disconected the RF and no more problems. Fitted a new RF receiver and no trouble since. That's about a year ago.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I guess we need confirmation if his hazards are coming on or if the turn signals are just lighting and staying lit.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Garrett20 said:
My car is parked outside my apartment and my roommate was outside and he came in and said he saw my "flashers" come on (meaning both turn signals at the same time)

I took that to mean that it was the hazards.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've already heard about that phenomenon, turn signals staying on (not flashing, some or all on all the time) and draining the battery.
Some even reported other lights, eg. fogs switching on and off randomly!

It seems to happen to german/european P38a owners more than in other parts of the world, maybe the different frequencies used on our side of the pond do even more strange things to the RF receiver and the BECM...

Most cases are solved with a new receiver.

Sigi

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I disconnected the RF receiver and the battery didn't drain last night and it started up today :-/
hmmm I really don't want to have to replace it...it's probably a lot of money :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can leave the receiver disconnected permanently, it will just mean the range of the receiver will be reduced quite a bit (remote will only work very close to the car).

Sigi

·
Registered
229 Posts
Garrett20 said:
Well I disconnected the RF receiver and the battery didn't drain last night and it started up today :-/
hmmm I really don't want to have to replace it...it's probably a lot of money :(

It's about £120 and well worth the money for peace of mind.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've had this same problem myself and the problem was caused by a low battery! For some reason the BCM does weird stuff when the battery is low, at least on my 1994 build car.

Whatever. Even if you think it is fixed, follow the electrical sticky to make sure it is in top condition or problems will come soon enough. You want your battery to charge properly and they often don't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts