RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover Classic
20 Posts
I got my 03 RR two weeks ago from a private seller. Everything seemed good on it. 70,000 miles. Clean truck.

Problem #1
Not even a week later the battery is dead everyday or every other day!! I seen a few posts on here but never got a definite fix. Did anyone ever find out what the problem was and can you please fill me in!!!

Problem # 2
Yesterday I'm pulling in the driveway and the truck starts steaming BAD!! Steam coming thru my vents in the truck and from the hood. Antifreeze dripping everywhere on the ground. It was dark so I bought a gallon of the blue antifreeze from BMW today as recommended, so that I can try and see where it's leaking from, because it all leaked out, none in the reservoir. Any help with this would also be helpful!

So far I feel like I got dooped with buying this truck. I'd like to avoid the stealership if possible but if I have to go I will.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
#1, run through the tests in the electrical issue stickie above. Winter temps in your area will kill an old or weak battery in no time.

#2, it makes no sence to dump coolant into a leaking system until you locate the leak. Fill it up with water and locate the leak. Once the leak is located and repaired then the system can be flushed and the expense of coolant added.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dang seem like me and you are in the same boat (somewhat) I just got my 03 a few weeks ago as well. when I got the truck the inactive susp. is showing. I went to the dealer and he cleared the code. the truck was driving fine for a few weeks then the inactive light pops back up. Im still able to drive the truck , but i have MAJOR concerns regarding the air suspension. I had a 96 and it was a big headache (air suspension) luckily for me I am covered under the warranty. my advice to you is to take your truck to the dealer and have a full DIAGNOSTICS done. it will tell you everything going on with the vehichle. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Coolant can leak from a lot of places. Raise the vehicle to offroad ride height and pull the plastic under-tray off, take a look for the leak. It may just be a leaky connector or hose that has come loose, these Rovers have a sad plastic cooling system.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went with antifreeze because it's very cold right now in my area only highs in middle 30's even during the day so I was afraid the water might freeze even with the truck being in the garage, and figured I have enough problems as it is!!

I poured the whole gallon of antifreeze in while it was idling. No leaks ANYWHERE. Low coolant light was still on too. Ten minutes after letting it idle, giving it throttle now and then, smoke or maybe steam started coming from the BACK of the motor. It didn't smell like antifreeze or oil. It was a weird smell. Still wasn't leaking though.

Here is a video of where the smoke was coming from.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cci1Hjf1msE

Is it safe to add water now that there's a gallon of antifreeze in it or could it still run the risk of freezing?
I'm usually good at working on my own vehicles but this RR is scaring me. I think it's dealership time. Let me know if anyone knows what could be smoking from the back of the motor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's s lot of coolant "stuff" back there. Pull the engine acoustic cover and the cabin air intake plenum for a better look

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would suggest to get a tube of Dow Corning 111 and use it on the O rings inside each hose connection, its found on Amazon or Ebay.
there is a common hose that leaks on the rear of the engine,
remove the air intake plenum from the center of the firewall then the engine acoustic cover,
the leaking hose should be easily seen.
you did right by using antifreeze instead of water in the freezing conditions.

Do a search for battery drain and you will find a few common parts that will cause the battery drain,
make sure the hat6ch lights go off ,do the headlight wipers stop in the correct down position?
has the final stage resistor been replaced?
have you checked the charging system it should be putting out 14.2 V at 1500 rpm,
anything below 13.5 and you have a failed diode, and or worn brushes

·
Registered
48 Posts
The coolant leak is from a hose that runs across the back of the engine and around ot the front. It can easily be changed..you need a mirror so you can see the connection point. It has been awhile since I did mine. It helps to unclip the hood struts (bonnet struts) so so you can place the hood strait up..you dont have to ..it can be done easy..they are quick connect hoses like the front radiator hoses only smaller.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts