Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery drained in 45 minutes after leaving rear hatch open!?!?

Hi everyone, I have read all of the battery drain problems but couldn't find a similar one to the problem I just had. I was loading the Rover yesterday for a long road trip, left the rear hatch open about 30-45 minutes and opened and closed the other doors several times in the meantime. After loading up, the car wouldn't start! I had to jump start the rig. Thankfully the car started fine the 2 times I had to stop for gas. The battery is only 1 year old.
I can leave the car in my garage for a week or more and it will start fine. Any ideas what could drain the battery in such a short time?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Re: Battery drained in 45 minutes after leaving rear hatch open!?!?

I believe that I've left my rear gate open for a while, and did notice that unlike any reasonably up-to-date japanese or american vehicles, the RR was not designed with the common sense to automatically turn off the lights if left open for an extended period of time.
I only had it open for maybe 15 - 20 minutes, and had no problem, but thought it odd that the load space lights remained on the whole time.

It is surprising if they do not turn off automatically after a predetermined time, as the BMW-designed RR is such a well-thought piece of engineering excellence.

·
Registered
887 Posts

The RR lights should turn off automatically after about 5 minutes. The timer does reset when you close and reopen the door/hatch. 45 minutes is a bit short to go dead, even if the lights don't turn off...so you likely have a weak battery.

·
Registered
687 Posts

Mine shuts off after about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
50 Posts

All doors and rear tailgate should shut in 5-10 mins. That's your first problem, second should as if your battery is low too. Age of the battery means nothing to a range rover. You could have a steady draw and over the 12 months slowly has been damaging the battery (discharge and charge)
Regular batteries are not made to be discharged and charged daily. Only deep cycle battery's can handle that swing. Even a deep cycle could feel a heavy draw everyday. If you drive the car daily you might not see the power loss to the battery because the alternator is compensating every morning. But if you leave your Range for a few days the battery probably will die.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you drive the car daily you might not see the power loss to the battery because the alternator is compensating every morning. But if you leave your Range for a few days the battery probably will die.
That's the kicker here...I own 4 cars, so this can often sit for a week at a time and no issues starting up. I will probably go ahead and change the battery when I return home anyway. I am visiting family here in Chicago and I have noticed the cold morning starts at 18 degrees are a bit slow. Turns over the first time, but sounds weaker than normal.

·
Registered
887 Posts

Just a thought...you may also try cleaning the battery terminals. If they are oxidized, they can add enough resistence to keep the battery from fully charging.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
79 Posts

For the vehicles that are not driven every day, a trickle charger works great. Low amp chargers can be had pretty cheap, and they have models that you can just plug into the cig lighter, so no need to hook it to the battery. This will maintain the charge in the battery, and always be ready. Keeping the terminals clean, and greased, also helps.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Charging through the cigarette lighter is most definately not recommended. In fact depending on the year of your rig it is quite impossible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts