RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery Drained and Car Locked --- How should I unlock the car?

First, the mechanical lock on my driver's door is NOT working...

The battery is completely drained and even cannot power the door locks. I predicted this so I left the hood and the trunk open. Today, when I found the red alarm indicator light no longer flashed and car did not unlock when I pressed the unlock button on the key, I knew that the battery is completely drained. I opened the hood and connected my Energizer jump starter onto the leads and pressed the unlock button again, nothing happened except that the audible alarm went off.

Actually, it had been the second time that the battery completely drained. Last time, I broke into the car from the trunk (by pulling the emergency trunk release cable), opened the hood, connected to a healthy car and the doors unlocked. I don't know how exactly the anti-theft system works, but any suggestions how should I unlock the car without triggering the audible alarm? It's really, really annoying... I assume that a jump starter is just an equivalent to a healthy car, but don't know why this time it didn't work that way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Battery Drained and Car Locked --- How should I unlock the car?

If you know this is going to happen unplug the alarm button under the hood, on my Disco there is a button on the inside of the left fender and that tells the alarm the hood is closed, unplug it and the alarm never knows the hood is open, so no alarm sounding when opening the hood.
The alarm remembers the last state it was in, it has a battery to keep its memory even if the main battery is dead or unhooked so it cant be tricked.

I assume there is a similar button under the hood of the RR.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts

If the battery is dead, and the alarm light is not blinking - I would probably try to trick the vehicle into thinking the hood and trunk were closed...perhaps it doesn't like being disarmed while things aren't shut? Maybe it is confused?

My real guess and first step would be to climb in through the rear and hit the door unlock button...and/or put the key in the ignition when the alarm is sounding, and turn the car on...should fix it?

·
Registered
76 Posts

I should add real quick a trick I've learned is to close everything, doors, hood, etc.
Crawl under the truck, hook a good battery to the positive battery cable on the starter, the other end to ground, now the truck has power, the alarm knows no different, unlock doors with remote, open hood, charge battery.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys for the reply!

Since the hood and trunk have been left unlocked, the alarm did NOT go off when I opened either. I opened the hood, connected the jump starter and hit the unlock button on the key. Then the alarm went off... I don't know exactly which particular procedure caused the alarm to go off --- maybe a combination of many.

As for the hood position sensor, yes indeed when the hood is closed it is pressed and when the hood is opened it is released by the spring; however according to RAVE, pulling the switch upward can override it, setting it to "closed" position manually.

I will try climbing into my truck tomorrow morning, when if the alarm goes off it won't wake everybody up...

Spike555: I connected my jump starter and do you think it acts the same as a good battery? I connected the jump starter, turned it on and hit the unlock button, nothing happened...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

I would first remove the battery and charge it then take it to be tested .

NOTE to charge the battery you need a 6 to 10 amp charger and it will have to run for about 4 to 6 hours

NOTE adding these jumper boxes will ususlly damage the alternator diodes,
then you need a new alternator in addition to what every is killing the battery and a new battery.

Have yo replaced the FSR?
if so did you get a better part or a less expensive part?
I would suggest to replace this with a FSR thats got Behr stickers on it,
they run about 50.00

Oh replace the drivers door latch they are pretty reasonable

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have the part, a Behr-Hella one at $52, BUT... haven't got a chance to replace it yet before I am locked outside the truck...
I tried to get into the truck and take it to Sears Autos to have the battery replaced... I had the reservation which is now expired... together with the 10% off coupon, perhaps...

·
Registered
76 Posts

A jump stater pack thingy is nothing more than a battery in a box, make sure it is charged and it should work.

You are going to have to charge the battery, then reset the alarm because it has been tripped, the alarm is programmed so as you cant just unhook the battery and steal the car and then hook the battery back up and not set it off.

Have you tried lubing the key hole on the drivers door? Stick the stray from a can of silicone spray into the key hole, lube, work the key, repeat until the lock works as it should.
Repeat this every 6 months, also lube every latch, hinge and cable and anything that moves, more often if you live in a dusty area.
If it moves it needs lube.
It also needs exercise, whatever it is use it once a month to keep it from seizing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I don't feel any resistance when I rotate the key in the key hole, so I guess the connection between the lock and the latch is broken. But I'll try lubricating it. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Problem solved!

I, actually my friend and I (because the battery is too heavy) replaced the battery and it seems that every problem about battery drain has been solved. Now the truck starts with no effort. However I'll still replace the final stage resistor as Mrmerlin suggests.

BUT NEW PROBLEM COMES!

Now the car is unlocked --- but can't be locked.

Back to this afternoon, we unlocked the car by...

I broke into the car from the trunk, with the battery disconnected simply because I'd like the truck to shut up. When I seated myself on the driver's seat, my friend connected the battery and, of course, the alarm went off and the truck turned screaming loudly. I pressed the key button, nothing happened, but when I pressed the button on the fascia, doors unlocked and the truck shut its alarm up.

So, the problem turned to be: locking the truck with radio frequency handset or key doesn't work (in LR language: superlocking fails), but with lock key on fascia (under hazardous warning light button) works (in LR language: central door locking is working).

After consulting RAVE, I found the solution: reprogramming the remote handset!

After tens of times of trial, finally succeeded! Now the remote handset works...

·
Registered
315 Posts
First, the mechanical lock on my driver's door is NOT working...

The battery is completely drained and even cannot power the door locks. I predicted this so I left the hood and the trunk open. Today, when I found the red alarm indicator light no longer flashed and car did not unlock when I pressed the unlock button on the key, I knew that the battery is completely drained. I opened the hood and connected my Energizer jump starter onto the leads and pressed the unlock button again, nothing happened except that the audible alarm went off.

Actually, it had been the second time that the battery completely drained. Last time, I broke into the car from the trunk (by pulling the emergency trunk release cable), opened the hood, connected to a healthy car and the doors unlocked. I don't know how exactly the anti-theft system works, but any suggestions how should I unlock the car without triggering the audible alarm? It's really, really annoying... I assume that a jump starter is just an equivalent to a healthy car, but don't know why this time it didn't work that way.

Thanks!
I can feel your pain. I don't drive my RR often enough and at times it drains the battery. I permanently installed a battery minder inside the engine bay and snaked the plug to the outside of the front grill, then the car gets plugged in every night and I have never had a dead battery again. For $50 you can buy the battery minder and attach it with velcro to the driverside and it works great!
Hope it works for you.
PS
I have one also on my AC Cobra as well.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-batteryminder-1510-12-volt-1_5-amp-charger.html?gclid=CN759-u9k84CFU9Zhgod0vkC_A

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,104 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with the door lock, its not mechanically connected to the door lock, it provides a contact closure to the BCM which inturn activates the door lock/unlock solenoids. With a dead battery turning the key in the lock cylinder does absolutely nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with the door lock, its not mechanically connected to the door lock, it provides a contact closure to the BCM which inturn activates the door lock/unlock solenoids. With a dead battery turning the key in the lock cylinder does absolutely nothing.
No. It also mechanically locks/unlocks the driver's latch. If it isn't doing this, battery dead or fully charged, it is either a failed latch, cylinder, or more commonly the linkage between the two.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
No. It also mechanically locks/unlocks the driver's latch. If it isn't doing this, battery dead or fully charged, it is either a failed latch, cylinder, or more commonly the linkage between the two.
You are correct,RoverGuy, Mine had the same problem, I was able to Slim-jim my way in, then took the lock cylinder out and with a repair kit bought on ebay, repaired the damaged cylinder!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts