Range Rovers Forum banner

Battery Drain

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  koel007 
#1 ·
Hi From Belgium.

My P38 4.6 1996 is draining the battery. Just replaced the altenator and Battery. When measuring between earth and negative it shows 0.58A but keeps jumping to 6.65A? I have not tested with the battery how far I can drive, as before after replacing the altenator but not the battery, Rangie would drain the battery in 5 to 10 minutes driving. So to take it for a spin scares me, affraid to be without power all over sudden. Any Ideas???

Regards Jacques

#2 ·
Have your new alternator checked fault, sounds bit like internal fault in the alternator. Had same problem once not a P38 though.
Just a thought but I am not a Auto Electrician.

Cheers

#3 ·
OK found it. After pulling all fuses, all over sudden it would drop back to 0.93. The fuse was for interiour lighting remote receiver and rear wippers. Checking everything, the wipper was frozen to the window. After making it work, I put back the fuse, let the wipper move a few times and locked the car back. Now measuring 0.53. So if the wipper is not back in position it will keep using 6A trying to get it back in position, even with doors locked.

#4 ·
koel007 said:
OK found it. After pulling all fuses, all over sudden it would drop back to 0.93. The fuse was for interiour lighting remote receiver and rear wippers. Checking everything, the wipper was frozen to the window. After making it work, I put back the fuse, let the wipper move a few times and locked the car back. Now measuring 0.53. So if the wipper is not back in position it will keep using 6A trying to get it back in position, even with doors locked.
That's a great tip, thanks for sharing koel007 ! It should be added to the RR.net diagnostics/repair page.

N.

#5 ·
hi does your display say ignition key in when the keys out mine was doing this and was not letting the becm go into sleep mode thus draining my battery in days i just make sure the barrel returns fully out and this cured the problem just a thought something simply and i,d been racking me brains to suss the drain on the battery . rgds neil :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.