RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery is new. Runs fine once the car is started so I assume the alternator is fine. Will also start once it has been used for a while. Only fails to start when left sitting overnight. At that point the battery needs to be charged for a few minutes before the jump. Just bought the Range Rover 01 HSE.

Mechanic cannot figure it out.

No approved garages close to me other than a dealership.

Is the best plan just to take it to the dealership?

Thank you in advance for all help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like it's not going to sleep.

The BeCM seems to draw a lot of power when it is awake something like 1ah. Some RR's have a problem with RF interference keeping them 'awake' which causes the battery to drain overnight.

Presuming it's an auto have a look next to the gearstick, you should see the red lights next to P N D ect, leave it in P get out and lock the car - look through the window and you should see the P LED still dimly lit. After 2 mins this should go out and stay out, if it doesn't then it will be draining the battery.

People have reported that the following things can awaken the BeCM:

Wireless Door Bells
Wireless Central Heating Room Stats
Wireless Internet
Wireless TV Senders

Land Rover do a part to fix this problem but it isn't cheap.

You can test it my removing the aerial for the receiver for the remote central locking, but you'll have to search for info on that as I've never done that.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
210 Posts
Mechanic can't figure it out because he is a mechanic. You need an electrician.

Get an auto electrician or an electrical mate to assess where the power drain is.

He can measure the total drain at the battery first and see if in fact there is an excessive current drain.
This will eliminate the battery itself as a possible cause.
I know it's new, but trust me, batteries have been known to be faulty from the box.

Next, at the fuse box, he can determine exactly how much current each circuit is drawing.

Until you do the above, you can't take the next step, as you are just guessing.

Good luck and cheers,
Keijo

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
51 Posts
It's really simple to cure, release the offside rear seat half and tilt it forward from inside the car, then from the tailgate end, prise out the plastic retaining pegs from the rear offside parcel shelf support ( the panel that sits directly under the RF receiver Aerial which is easily visible from the outside of the car,it is etched onto the glass rear quarter window.

Then remove the single philips screw which is visible when you tilt the seat forwards.
With an upwards and outwards tug on the panel it will come off, unplug the Blue wire connector to the small black box,(the one nearest to the rear seat).

You will have to use your remote close to the glass at the rear of the car, but it will stop your BECM waking up and draining your battery, when the BECM is awake it takes 1.55 amps.
To check it is staying asleep, with the ignition key out of the ignition, shut the doors and lock them manually, best to do this check at night,sitting inside the car, with the Gear Lever in Park, look at the red LED next to the Park position, it should glow dimly,after about 3 minutes it should extinguish and stay out, if you open a door you will see it light up again.

Hope this helps, it only takes about 10 minutes to do this simple fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First thing I would have checked is the battery. I had brand new Interstate battery in my 98 and it was doing the exact same thing you described. The battery had a bad cell and my local Interstate dealer replaced it. No probs since.
Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i had the same issue, and they found out the drain was coming from the BeCM. Naturally, they said the BeCM was bad and needed to be replaced for $3800. I said no, and did some research. I unplugged my RF receiver and have not had a dead battery since!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts