RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 RR vogue 4.4 petrol. 8 months ago I had a new alternator fitted due to endless problems with battery drain, all has been fine until recently.Over the past few weeks the following things have happened -

1) Indicator lights on dash stop working but indicators still work on the outside
2) Stereo not working and screen flickers / started working again recently
3)Central locking stopped working
4) Battery dead in the mornings
5) Sometimes my key is not recognised when put in the ignition.....
6) The red fan light on the stereo is illuminated all the time (somrhting to do with aux ventillation)
7) Alarm going off at 3am in the morning due to dead battery !!!

Apart from that lot my car runs fine once I can get the **** thin started. I have really had enough with this car...........any pointers would help !!

Thanks in advance
Barry

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This one seems obvious to me......

Your battery is well and truly knackered and need immediate replacement with a very good quality heavy duty battery with the correct specification for a Range Rover.

The bad alternator probably adversely effected the battery which may have nearing retirement anyway...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I bit the bullet today and bought my third battery in 2 1/2 years from landrover (£134.00). I will fit it tomorrow and see how I get on.

Will this solve the problems mentioned ??

Also, can anyone tell me what the red fan light means on the head unit ? I was mucking about with the auxillary air settings because I thought these might have something to do with the battery draining every night. Does the red fan indicator mean that the auxillary is ON or OFF ??

thanks
Barry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had my battery switch out today with a new one because it was drain out from sitting for 2-3 months in a heated garage.Well now the key wont work when inserted i get nothing but there is power in the vehicle im thinking to myself what now.I goggled this googled that search, this forum search, that forum and all get is some immobolisition crap,If it aint one thing its another.
Any help or clues to this mystery is glady appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Forgot to mention i had it jumped and drove straight to get the battery installed at tires plus they put in the interstate mtp-93
i still wish i could get that big white beastly battery does anyone know how to find those?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
weimaraner73 said:
Also, can anyone tell me what the red fan light means on the head unit ? I was mucking about with the auxillary air settings because I thought these might have something to do with the battery draining every night. Does the red fan indicator mean that the auxillary is ON or OFF ??
The red fan symbol is lit when the auxilary fan is set to come on. If yours is on all the time, that means your fan will come on every day at the set time for 1/2 hour. Since the fan is battery paoered, it does drain the battery.
It's a nice feature, and I use mine as required. But if it runs every day, and the car doesn't run regularly/daily, then your battery will not charge from the alternator, and will eventually drain. The elecro-chemical charge can only do so much.
Check your auxillary settings, when do youhave it set to run?
Turn off your auxillary fan.
If you don't know how, check your owners manual.

·
Registered
120 Posts
minnesota mitch said:
Had my battery switch out today with a new one because it was drain out from sitting for 2-3 months in a heated garage.Well now the key wont work when inserted i get nothing but there is power in the vehicle im thinking to myself what now.I goggled this googled that search, this forum search, that forum and all get is some immobolisition crap,If it aint one thing its another.
Any help or clues to this mystery is glady appreciated.
Try to disconnect battery negative cable, and connect it again....then try inserting the key. This will reset the "trusted link" established between the key RF signal and the immobilizer.
If this doesnt work, its possible that your upper steering column immobilizer ECU is shot (expensive to replace, but there might be a way to fix it on a budget).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts