RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on dying batteries, so I'm armed with the info about the blower resistor and service action BD162v2 options (though my 04 is outside the VIN range). My issue is this:

I'm experiencing battery discharges after about four days in the underground parking lot of our condo. The battery and alternator are fine. The dealer says that this can be caused by RF interference from other people's key remotes waking up a computer in the RR (an M5 recently took up a neighbouring parking spot, and the problem seemed to worsen). A few times, the truck has simply not started. And a few times it has started, but the battery was so weak that the voltage fluctuations caused all sorts of can bus errors, necessitating a trip to the dealer.

FWIW, I don't experience the problem when we're at our country place, where the truck is all by itself rather than being surrounded by a few hundred other cars.

So, two questions: Has anybody had this problem? And, are the above mentioned fixes possible cures?

As silly as this is, it may force me to sell the truck. I have no place to plug in a battery maintainer at the condo, and the truck sits idle for four days a week no matter what.

Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions.

Bruce.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This was discussed a lot a couple years ago. It seemed to affect vehicles parked at the airport. I don't think a solution was ever found. Try a search with "airport" and you might find the story.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Creemore said:
And a few times it has started, but the battery was so weak that the voltage fluctuations caused all sorts of can bus errors, necessitating a trip to the dealer.
This is interesting, the alternator should be able to run the rest of the car, even if the battery was completely discharged and you just jumped it to start the car etc.

The alternator on the L322 is a clever bit of kit, completely self regulating. On a battery with a low charge it outputs 14.5V - this is more than enough to run all systems. It is temperature regulated to optimize battery charging too.

Basically, double check your alternator, it has a host of systems in it that could have failed or be reading incorrectly and not giving a fantastic charge.

In the past, people have blamed that battery, replaced it and the problem has come back after a couple of weeks, this is nearly always because of the alternator.

The fact that your car is fine at a different location does point to the ECU wake up issue as experienced on the early P38's, but it wouldn’t hurt to stick a multi meter on the alternator (and the battery terminals - there should be no difference)

FYi, you should have the 110Ah/850A battery if your V8 with the cold weather pack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting, thank you, Dan. I seem to recall reading that alternator problems can be intermittent on this truck, so maybe that's what's happening. Will check.

I had read the airport stories, actually, RattleItHome, but thanks for pointing me that direction. I just couldn't see a fix that was relevant for me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Creemore said:
I have done a search on dying batteries, so I'm armed with the info about the blower resistor and service action BD162v2 options (though my 04 is outside the VIN range). My issue is this:.
Bruce,

Mine (2003) was outside the VIN range too but the service action and resistor fixed the problems.

Good luck, its a real nuisance while the problem lasts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the mechanic tells me that the harness won't solve my particular problem. His best suggestion: Disconnect the battery during the week. Sigh.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, maybe it wasn't the harness that fixed my problem. Here is my post from an earlier thread.

My battery problem seems to have been fixed. Basically it was done in two stages.

First they put in the relay harness which is recommended under a TSB for '04 Range Rovers but they figured mine needed it as well. (a relay and link harness Kit 1 (part # YNI500040K) )

We thought this was the solution but then the problem continued ( or could ithave been a new problem?) This time there was definitelyt a blower fan coming on during quiet hours,( ie when the car's computer should have been asleep) and pushing a very small amount of air through the vents. It was coming on about every 15 minutes or so, and I could disable it only by pulling the 50 amp fuse number 64.

Eventually they replaced the blower regulator as described in my earlier post and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I recommend you sit in the car for a couple of hours, leave it all locked up and quiet, and listen carefully. Take a flashlight with you and a pair of needle nose pliers with you and if you hear a noise start removing some of the fuses identified by various posters on this thread to see if you can narrow it down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ,
I have been having a similar problem with my battery. Dealer told me it was the alternator. Replaced the alternator. Now battery died again. I tried jump starting it and it still won't start. Have other people have similar issues trying to jump start it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
2003rover said:
Hi ,
I have been having a similar problem with my battery. Dealer told me it was the alternator. Replaced the alternator. Now battery died again. I tried jump starting it and it still won't start. Have other people have similar issues trying to jump start it.
Yeah, I hear that a lot... good idea to always make sure you ask to keep your old parts... then you could have a spare, or sell one if it didn't fix the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts