RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a replacement battery at Autozone, I was looking at putting one of there Marine batteries. Anyone running an Autozone red top or a Marine battery on their P38?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi

I have a 1996 p38 4.0 us spec. and have been running both optima red top and yellow top.
when red top died I used a yellow top for the primary (and only) starting battery

I now have a dual (or in the process of) battery set up: Red/Yellow top optimas adjacent and placed longditudinal in the existing battery tray, using a solenoid battery manager from Wrangler products Portland OR.(I will post pics shortly)

Optima has all the information concerning the differences between red (2 types)/yellow/blue(marine) (2 types) batteries.

There are 2 types of blue marine batteries deep cycle / starting and starting.
There appears to be not much difference between the yellow and blue deep cycle/starting. except the addition of post/screw type terminals.
The other blue type is starting only.
I have had a lot of success with the optima (cannot tell the difference between red/yellow) when used for starting.
It should also be noted that there a 2 versions of the red top 1 with 750cca and the other 800cca.
I just brought a red top 800cca from Pep boys for $189.

Have only needed to replaced one red top in last 6 years of operation.
hope this helps
paul

·
Registered
468 Posts
Persoanlly I'd avoid Optimas. Too expensive for what they are. Seems alot of people are happy with Interstate batteries.

I used to run a marine battery in my RRC and my Suzuki, and they worked great

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm on the avoid Optima boat as well. They didn't work out very well for me and my trolling motors.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi, I use Autozone's Duralast Heavy Duty, par#31-950.

Working well for me, besides, it's one of the most affordable out there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Theor, That was the answer I was looking for. How is the fit as they don't have a listing for our cars except for the Duralast Gold 34-DLG. In Arizona, its a hard life for batteries and I have been happy with Autozone's Duralast Red tops in my other cars *they are cheap and last as long as an Interstate battery*. I'm hoping my issue is the battery as its been charging for 3 hours and the charger's self test program hasn't thrown up an error. I'm not in the mood for troubleshooting an electrical drain issue on the P38 with temps touching 110f.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The fit is all right, with the exception that you cannot put the plastic battery cover, as the screw-in terminals gets too tall for the battery cover. Duralast Gold is probably a good battery, but I don't think it's worth the additional cost. If I remember correctly, my Duralast heavy duty cost only like $100. You simply can't beat that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying a Duralast Gold 27-DLG as it is a bigger battery (Slightly less CCA) than the other one and the height was just right. Otherwise 31-DLG would have been shorter and wouldn't have fitted under the top bracket without some sort of spacers under it.
Hope this helps someone looking for a cheap battery with a good warranty.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalo ... entId=42-0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts