RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have HAD it with Land Rover! After going back and forth with a constant dead battery, we finally get it back to the shop and they say that my Nav ECU constantly stays on which is what's killing the battery. Has anyone had this issue? Of course its a whopping $3000 to fix it at the dealership!

I'm still not sure if this is what it is because it took them a couple visits to figure it out!

·
Registered
285 Posts
It is one of the common sources of battery drain, but sometimes it's only because the connections to the unit are corroded due to water getting in through the window above.

Have they checked the heater first stage resistor (hedgehog)? Do both your headlight wipers work? These were both problems which caused my battery to go flat.

If I were you, I'd check to see if there is evidence of corrosion around the connectors to the Satnav unit. If not, unplug it and see if the battery drain problem stops.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if they checked the hedgehog? I will find out though...

Yes both of my headlight wipers work!

I'm wondering if the connectors are corroded, can they just be replaced and not the whole unit? Sometimes I think these dealerships are just out to make money!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Unfortunately, I have heard of this problem before. You dont say which year your vehicle is, but if it is the BMW nav from '03-'05 ...

• Unplug nav computer.[/*:m:1k8n0xrj]
  • Make sure all the connections were clean/dry[/*:m:1k8n0xrj]
  • Make sure the battery issues are gone by leaving it unplugged for a day or two.[/*:m:1k8n0xrj]
  • If the computer is indeed the culprit, you can buy a new one on ebay for around $200 (MKIII) or $500 (MKIV)[/*:m:1k8n0xrj]
  • Pull out the old computer, insert the new one and plug it in.[/*:m:1k8n0xrj]
  • Buy yourself something fun with the $2500 you save.[/*:m:1k8n0xrj]
And if you found any evidence of water ingress... make sure you remedy that situation or it won't be long before it happens again.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Also, if you still have one of the old style hedgehog things, you should probably just replace it (only about $15, easy plug and play piece). An old one is just a time bomb, it will go out eventually. The new ones still fail sometimes, but not with nearly the same frequency.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
nijones25 said:
One more thing...any idea on what to search for on EBAY?

Navigation ECU?
Range Rover ECU Navigation?
I would search for such things as MKIV GPS or BMW NAV or MK4 NAV. If you don't want to pay extra for shipping you may need to wait a bit to find one which doesn't need to ship from another country. Also some of them come with a map DVD and others don't. Most will have a BMW logo on startup since they almost always come from a BMW, but you can install modded firmware later if you want a LR logo.

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/nav/mkivcomputer.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently my husband just spoke with the tech guys again and the disc for my current system (that needs to be replaced) is not going all the way in, he's trying to put it in but it won't stay...so the "door" won't shut which signals it to constantly run....

Does the ECU replace the the screen and all? Or is it just a small box?

Heard of this?

G

·
0 Posts
nijones25 said:
Apparently my husband just spoke with the tech guys again and the disc for my current system (that needs to be replaced) is not going all the way in, he's trying to put it in but it won't stay...so the "door" won't shut which signals it to constantly run....

Does the ECU replace the the screen and all? Or is it just a small box?

Heard of this?
The ECU thing is in the rear left compartment in the trunk and looks like a CD player. That's all you have to replace (if that is the source of your woes)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Ran ... udio_Video (for an example)
You do not need to do anything to the screen. Like someone said, if it's rusty, clean it, seal it, replace it, drive it.

For the record, the "hedgehog they are refering to is called a Final Stage resistor. again, another ebay link for an example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-RAN ... ccessories
They average $35 to $50 a piece with shipping (not sure where they are getting them for $15) but if this is the cause of your battery drain, you may have seen issues with the climate control blower motor (failing to respond to fan speed dial etc) before.

Now, range Rovers are NOT all that bad and most certainly are not the devil incarnate. Blame the dealership by all means for the unscrupulous tactic of gouging ignorant owners $3,000 for a $400, 50 second fix, but don't blame the vehicle. I'm sure BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Maybach, Porsche, Ferrari, Konnigsegg and Pagninni all do the same thing. Big money for the vehicle = big money for the dealer because no one repairs there own Lexus....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all of the help!

This gives me something to go by when talking to them. Apparently, the tech himself is "unsure" of what it actually is still. They are going to just remove the disc, keep the truck for a couple days and see if the battery is still dying. We shall see...

FYI - back in January I had issues with my heat only blowing cool air. At the time, there was part that was needed but because I was already spending a ton of money on something else, they "rigged" up a solution - apparently a line or cable had broken (or gone bad) and they rigged it to blow heat by using a component from the air but he told me that I wouldn't be able to run the air with it. BUT for some reason, the air works and blows just fine. So could that "rigging" have something to do with the battery drain?

I know...I meant I was frustrated with that dealership alone. I love my truck!!! I know all vehicles have problems! It just seems to be hit or miss with the techs at this dealership -

G

·
0 Posts
nijones25 said:
So could that "rigging" have something to do with the battery drain?
Definately yes. You need to go back to who did this and either find out what he did or get the original issue fixed correctly.

nijones25 said:
I know...I meant I was frustrated with that dealership alone. I love my truck!!! I know all vehicles have problems! It just seems to be hit or miss with the techs at this dealership -
I know, I just get defensive when people attack the wrong target.

While I think about it, do you know anyone else with a RR. Swapping parts is a good way to identify faulty parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was the dealership that did the rigging, but it all sounds related! I will have my husband call them now to remind them of what they did and maybe also fax them a few of these forums that talk about this issue...

Thanks, I understand...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts