RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 RRS (non-supercharged).

Last week, my battery just happened to die at a gas station right across from an O'Reilly Auto Parts. I ran across, bought a new battery, and installed it really quickly. Just finished tightening up the brace/bracket when I noticed that there was a dongle that I apparently missed (see attached). It seems to be wrapped up with the positive terminal lead, but has about 18" or so of independent movement. I figured it's probably not a good thing to end up with more parts than I started with, but I was in a bit of a rush and just drove off after making sure that the car started up and all systems were in fact working.

I've been driving with this thing disconnected for over a week, and the car seems to be behaving just fine. I've verified everything (that I can think of) is operating correctly, so I have no clue what this guy is for. But it does make me a bit nervous. Can anybody advise on where it's supposed to be connected?

IMG_0778.jpg

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
IIRC, it's the connector for a battery cutoff relay that's designed to prevent the battery from discharging during transportation of the vehicle to its final destination from the UK, or while the car is sitting unsold on the dealer's lot. This transit relay is unplugged and discarded during PDI. So, the connector doesn't go anywhere after the vehicle is sold and delivered to the customer. The one on my LR4 is also hanging loose in the battery compartment near the positive terminal, although its contacts are protected by some sort of plastic cap which may very well have fallen off or been forgotten on yours - no big deal because the connector is useless after delivery anyway, with or without blanking cap. Don't worry about it and just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whew. That's good to hear. Thank you for the detailed info!

Also noticed that you're from Pasadena, CA. So am I. Maybe I'll see ya around.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts