RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is an interesting problem. The battery acts flat when the hood is closed. When I open the hood from inside but leave hood partially closed, it still acts flat. As soon as I pop the hood, it cranks. Anybody got an idea?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Well, if we ignore the possibility that the bonnet is directly shorting the battery somehow (you'd probably spot this by the fire and smoke!), start by having a look at the alarm/ anti-tamper/ immobiliser switch for the bonnet, also have a look at the battery connections and relevant earths.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
What do you mean by 'acts flat'? No crank presumably but what about dash light and so on? Do they come on as normal but go out when you try to crank the engine or does it just not crank?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you turn on the ignition, the truck clicks as if it had a flat battery. All the instruments work, and it appears that it just won't crank. I have replaced the cables to the alternator, starter, and the ground, I also replace the wire to the fuse box. So the connections to the battery are all clear. The fuse box is new, and the battery is new, 6 months ago. I had multiple auto parts stores check the batteries starter and alternator. As you can imagine, everything came back ok. There are no warnings or messages in the message center when this happens. It also is sporadic.

R

·
0 Posts
.......start by having a look at the alarm/ anti-tamper/ immobiliser switch for the bonnet,.
where would that be, and above all, what would that do, more than sending a signal that the bonnet is open to the alarmsection of the bECM?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
As you've replaced all the cables I would suspect that you got one of them wrong. It could be that something is being pressed down when the bonnet is shut and making a poor connection, open the bonnet and it is no longer being pushed about and the connection returns.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is a fair question. I have not put the cover back on it, so I will try it when I get home and see if that changes the situation. I did remove the theft deterrent switch from the bonnet latch and the truck cranked up with the bonnet down. However, the next time I tried to crank it the situation repeated itself so it is not the theft deterrent switch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still at home but I tried to swap relays around that didn't help. I'm about to do some additional experiments see different situations in which it will not crank.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
As you've replaced all the cables I would suspect that you got one of them wrong. It could be that something is being pressed down when the bonnet is shut and making a poor connection, open the bonnet and it is no longer being pushed about and the connection returns.
Seems quite logical also something possibly pressing on the fuse box,

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Your picture does extend far enough to be able to see the negative battery terminal and cable. Is that one being pressed down by the bonnet? You do have what looks like one cable going over the top of the alternator, could that have any relevance?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the new day, a new set of problems. On my way home I experienced several codes. I received misfire codes, and wiring codes. I believe I received a 1300, 0305, and 0308, and there were some other codes that were pending. about 2 months ago I changed the ignition coils and the wires and the spark plugs. The engine is idling Roughly. I can rev it up to 4500 rpm. However under a load I'm getting misfires. I get a misfire around 30 miles per hour and it seems to be idling rough.

R

·
0 Posts
P38's can throw up the wildest sets of errors due to bad electrics, would start by checking those cables you "fixed"

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
+1 How did you terminate the cables? Crimp or solder? Are they good or have you got intermittent connections when they get moved around?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the coil, Performance Distributors from Memphis TN are replacing the bad coil pack under warranty. I will update on next steps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another interesting fact is that the truck is now starting with the bonnet down. I wonder if the coil was going bad to begin with and maybe something was pushing the coil down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts