RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read up quite a bit on the EAS and have done various bits to fix it, and I have the EAS Unlock Cable etc.

I still have a problem which I think is down to a leaky bag but can someone who knows better confirm?

I first parked in the garage and had it set to high, I left it like that for nearly two weeks and it never sunk, I then parked on the drive and set the suspension to normal, the next morning it was down on the bump stops. It stayed like this for a week. I then started it up and it rose fairly quickly to standard height and I pulled into the garage. It's then been there for 4 days without sinking at all.

Originally I thought it was dropping due to leaky bags being worst at normal height where they buldge slightly, but since putting it in the garage I'm not so sure. My garage is perfectly level but my drive slopes down, are they affected by slopes?

I can't find any leaks using water and washing up liquid.


Next question - what is the most you can pump up the airbags with the EAS Unlock Software?
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
Effected by slopes? No. Uneven roads though, yes.

For fun, park it back out in the street and pull out the EAS timer relay deal (search for how to do it on here) and let it sit a few days if you can... if it doesn't sink it's not a leaking bag (which I don't think you have, btw) and it's your system self adjusting trying to level itself.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
I forgot to add that your rig should be in normal height or highway when you park it and pull the timer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Hi to All re EAS if you park the vehicle on a slop it wil self leavel it's self to the lowest corner so when you park in the garage which you say is leval it should sit at the preset height which you say it does, but when parked on the drive it will self leval, my drive is also not leval and my 4.6 reacts just the same nothing to worry about as long as it pumps up and sets it's self just enjoy. Best Regards sillyboy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
sillyboy said:
Hi to All re EAS if you park the vehicle on a slop it wil self leavel it's self to the lowest corner so when you park in the garage which you say is leval it should sit at the preset height which you say it does, but when parked on the drive it will self leval, my drive is also not leval and my 4.6 reacts just the same nothing to worry about as long as it pumps up and sets it's self just enjoy. Best Regards sillyboy
No, that means there is a leak and the system is trying to level to compensate for the leak.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
sillyboy said:
Hi to All re EAS if you park the vehicle on a slop it wil self leavel it's self to the lowest corner so when you park in the garage which you say is leval it should sit at the preset height which you say it does, but when parked on the drive it will self leval, my drive is also not leval and my 4.6 reacts just the same nothing to worry about as long as it pumps up and sets it's self just enjoy. Best Regards sillyboy

Uninformed post of the month.
Negative ghostrider.
Blind leading blind.

I'm all out of quips... but you're wrong.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I'm all out of quips...
I never thought this day would come!
Quick, call Noris McWhirter at the Guiness Book of Records!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kmagnuss said:
Effected by slopes? No. Uneven roads though, yes.

For fun, park it back out in the street and pull out the EAS timer relay deal (search for how to do it on here) and let it sit a few days if you can... if it doesn't sink it's not a leaking bag (which I don't think you have, btw) and it's your system self adjusting trying to level itself.
I'll give that a try in a week or so, put it in the garage as I'm not going to get chance to touch it for a week or so.

You say you don't think it's a leaky bag and that it would be the system trying to level itself, but then you seem to dismiss that when another user says a similar thing later - or am I missing something! :?: 8~

Cheers :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
The level of the road has nothing to do with the self leveling of the EAS. There's no mercury switch or anything crazy in the EAS system. It's the uneven-ness of a road that will make it self level. As in you're on a flat road but with one tire in a pothole...or one tire on the parking curb. The EAS will try to balance out the system in that case, as the height sensors will sense different readings. If the road is slanted one way or another but is otherwise flat, the height sensors will still read that they are all even, so the EAS will not see a need to try to self level.

Got it?

:thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
I disagree.

When you turn the engine off, the BECM (and hence the EAS) is still awake for a certain period.
Now, if there is an air leak somewhere then as that air escapes the EAS will drop air out of the system elsewhere to level the vehicle. Until its on the bumpstops.

If you wish to test this then park the car on a level surface and use your body weight to push against one side - thats right rock it back and forth on its suspension. At some point the leak will expose it itself, drop some air and the system will compensate by dropping air elsewhere and you will here a psht psht noise.

Now if you think your car's EAS is airtight then park it one with one wheel on a kerb/brick/breeze block/cinder block and leave it overnight. If it is airtight then it will still be at a funny angle in the morning and if you have a leak it will be sitting level.


Sotal - KMag is suggesting you pull the EAS relay out to remove the compensation for whatever is causing your leak. I reckon that if you pull the relay and park on the drive then next morning you will see one corner down. You then know the leak is at that corner or in the valve for that corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Hi to all Air Suspension RAVE page 286 S1 The eas system will lower the vehicle to the lowest corner after the last door is closed, "say no more" Regards Sillyboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I think the more I read the more I'm getting confused but I think I'm getting there now!

Dennis states that with a good system you should be able to put one wheel on a block and it will remain at the same height overnight.


It's currently still in my garage and still perfectly level at the correct height.

When it's on the drive, it is sloped so the back wheels were perhaps a maximum of 10" higher than the front, but left to right was even
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
Again...it has nothing to do with the LEVEL of the vehicle. It moves when you rock it because you're changing the height sensor values. You can park your car on a 45 degree incline and it WILL NOT try to make the rear higher than the front...it just simply does not have the provision to do that. There is NO LIQUID in the height sensing ability of the 4 corners.

You can disagree all you want, facts are facts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kmagnuss said:
Again...it has nothing to do with the LEVEL of the vehicle. It moves when you rock it because you're changing the height sensor values. You can park your car on a 45 degree incline and it WILL NOT try to make the rear higher than the front...it just simply does not have the provision to do that. There is NO LIQUID in the height sensing ability of the 4 corners.

You can disagree all you want, facts are facts.
I presume the disagreement is with "Sillyboy", as I'm not disagreeing,

however I still can't explain why it goes down on a slope? but stays up when it's level in the garage! I trust what Dennis says as he has plenty of experience in this field - so I trust it 'should' stay up on a slope but it doesn't so what would be a likely candidate?!
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
Maybe when it's leaning back it allows one of the cracks in the bag to be exposed a little bit. When you did the soap test, did you do it at the normal level while on the slope, or in the driveway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Soap test was on the drive, but thinking about it now I may have done it at full height rather than normal height, so will retry at normal height
 

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
sillyboy said:
Hi to all Air Suspension RAVE page 286 S1 The eas system will lower the vehicle to the lowest corner after the last door is closed, "say no more" Regards Sillyboy
Yes, BUT the "lowest corner" refers to distance between frame and axle, not lowest elevation of each corner. If you park on an uneven surface, let it sit idling for 10 seconds to even out and get it's bearings, then it won't move (if there's no leaks..)
 

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Maybe when it's leaning back it allows one of the cracks in the bag to be exposed a little bit. When you did the soap test, did you do it at the normal level while on the slope, or in the driveway?

that's what I was going to say, a little sideways pressure on an airspring will work wonders for small cracks/leaks.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top