RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a series of 3-4 quick loud bangs from somewhere near the front under hard acceleration in Sport Mode... they stop once the vehicle accelerates.

We've changed the bushes. No joy. It did sound like axle tramp and I really thought this would work.

I assume that track rod ends and steering damper are next?

However the garage say the transmission was changed recently (prior to my buying it) and I'm worried it wasn't a top class job... could these symptom come from there?

If so then what should we look for?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Transfer case chain.

Very common.

Baby it for awhile if you don't feel like fixing it right now and it should last you a bit longer.... you'll notice it increase in frequency though, to the point that it will do it at every standing start and on hills.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any super-duper titanium upgrades so it won't need doing again anytime soon? :D

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
nope. Just don't go racing from stoplights in sport anymore. These pigs are slow... gotta talk nice to em.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, fair enough... Though I have to say the noise from the Janspeed cat back system I picked up on eBay for £429 may well tempt me from time to time, I'll make sure I'm rolling rather than stationary! `)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Is it only under sport mode? Cos all that does is allow the gearbox change up points to be held to higher revs.
Sure it's not something like the cats banging against the floor pan due to a failed mounting, can't see why you wouldn't get the same from the transfer case chain at any speed.
Mine used to do it just pulling away steadily without trying too hard :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it under kick-down in or out of Sport. I'm told this is how it starts... look near the beginning of the thread for someone describing the degradation in detail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts