RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer is saying I need to have my front ball joints replaced. I have 75K miles on an 07 RRS. Has anyone had this issue? Dealer wants $850 which includes an alignment. Thanks for your feedback!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
802 Posts
kmantz said:
Dealer is saying I need to have my front ball joints replaced. I have 75K miles on an 07 RRS. Has anyone had this issue? Dealer wants $850 which includes an alignment. Thanks for your feedback!
Ball joints? @ 75K miles? That's bad. How have you used the truck?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
This is a fairly common issue with the higher mileage RRS. I've had the fronts replaced and just recently the rears as well due to heavy offroading. Sitting right at 99K miles...had my fronts done when the vehicle was in the 80K' ish range if I remember correctly, rears done just about 2 months ago.

If you're past warranty, that can be a bit pricey...but before you get them done, find an independent shop to put the car on the rack, and show you if the ball joint is in fact loose. It should be stiff to move, however if it can be moved easily once the nut is off, then they're ready to be replaced.

4 Wheel alignment can be done elsewhere...dealer typically charges between 160-200, but you can get it done for about $100 elsewhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Guys I just had my ball joints and bushings replaced under warranty and got the wheel alignment as well covered.
I complained about a squeek from the front...There is a TSB covering this.
if your out of warranty it is VERY pricey.
do a search of TSB's on this board and you will find it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
PJPR01 - If its a Ball joint, wouldn't it be more of a hollow rattle type noise from the front end going over bumps?
True...I would describe it as a clunk when going over bumpy roads or a driveway lip. Noticeable "thunk" in my case....but once he disconnected the a-arms, you could literally move the ball joint shaft with 1 finger...whereas on the new ones, it takes a lot of effort to move them.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
I believe in new cars, requires the control arm needs to be replaced since the ball joint is pressed together. I guess this is not the case in the RRS.
You are correct Frisco...the standard procedure now is to replace the entire control arm...and not press out the ball joint, same goes for the lower suspension arms...rather than pressing out those bushings, they replace the entire structure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts