RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 2008 RR HSE, 115,000 miles.

About five months ago I had the front suspension replaced at a shop, both air struts. Now, when I drive over small bumps or cracks in the road, I hear a kind of single knock coming from under the hood area or the suspension. I don't remember the noise before I had the front struts replaced. Any connection?

If not, I'm assuming that the ball joints are starting to go bad. Does anyone have an estimates of how much they paid to have them replaced at a shop or the dealer? Obviously I won't do dealer but sometimes still helpful to know dealer price since the after market shop I go to is usually 30% less. I cannot do the job myself FYI.

Still seems a little early to have ball joints go bad considering I rarely do any hard off road driving throughout the life of the vehicle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Most likely one of your stabilizer end links have gone bad or were not tightened correctly by the shop. I have not had much luck with these surviving removal - which would have happened with the work performed on your RR.

Replacement does not take much time maybe 10 minutes a side. I would do both of them if they have not been replaced lately - source a quality replacement. Wouldn't hurt to search for some threads for recommendations on brand.

I would start with inspecting those - give a pull or disconnect them and fasten them secure. If the sound goes away you know that is the problem. If it is a ball joint, it would not hurt to replace the front end links at the same time.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
We can only speculate as to the noise, way too many things in the front suspension to say what it is. People can guess, but that's all it is... a guess. You've got upper and lower control arms both with ball joints and bushes, tire rod end (more ball joints), sway bar with bushes and end links both with sets of ball joints, then the struts. If any one of those components have a failing joint it'll make a noise. Given you're not doing the work yourself just bring it into a shop. If it is the upper/lower ball joints best to have all 4 repaired at once. Depending on where you take it and if the tech has the correct tools, they'll almost certainly end up damaging both as one is removed. Or... the shock required to free up some of those parts ends up destroying nearby joints. No clue on the labor, but but figure $400-600 in parts if they replace all 4 control arms and 2-4 hours at whatever they charge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never responded to this but I want to thank you as you diagnosed the problem! When I went to the shop, I mentioned the stabilizer end links and that is exactly what went bad. That's the first thing they looked for because of my suggestion, and it cost me $190 to replace both with labor.

Most likely one of your stabilizer end links have gone bad or were not tightened correctly by the shop. I have not had much luck with these surviving removal - which would have happened with the work performed on your RR.

Replacement does not take much time maybe 10 minutes a side. I would do both of them if they have not been replaced lately - source a quality replacement. Wouldn't hurt to search for some threads for recommendations on brand.

I would start with inspecting those - give a pull or disconnect them and fasten them secure. If the sound goes away you know that is the problem. If it is a ball joint, it would not hurt to replace the front end links at the same time.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Hopefully they went through and checked everything, as that was a very lucky guess is all......

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts