Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I can hear a faint humming noise coming from my front end for the past week. It almost sounds like my tires need to be replaced, but they are fairly new and in good shape. The sound goes away at higher speeds. I have almost 100k miles. Could this be a warning sign that I will need new ball bearings soon? I also had a scraping sound from the front end a few weeks ago that went away on its own. It sounded like a pebble was stuck behind the brake dust cover. Perhaps it could be related? I'm hitting the road today and will be driving a few hundred miles and am hoping it will hold me over until I get back. Appreciate your feedback!
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's almost certainly the problem, and you're right at the mileage at which you can expect this.

The parts should be around $90 for a bearing/hub assembly (obviously not at the dealer, where I think it's $350 each). I just paid $130 for 1.5 hrs labor to do one side. I had the other side done a few months ago. Probably best just do do both at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll take it to my mechanic next week (fortunately not the dealer). Hopefully I can get a couple hundred miles more before they totally go, as I am off the grid for a few days after today.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
509 Posts
Just don't put in cheap Chinese bearing - get SkF or timken ... Cheaper than dealer and good quality

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was informed that Timken makes almost all of the bearings (including LR part). The difference between most is in the hub. Either way, even if the Chinese one is 90 bucks, you could buy FOUR for the price of a dealer LR part, labor notwithstanding.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,572 Posts
...The parts should be around $90 for a bearing/hub assembly (obviously not at the dealer, where I think it's $350 each)...
You won't get Timkens or SkF for that price, especially if you go through an Indy or dealer. For the bearings, you do want to go with Timkens or SkF if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, otherwise...Just make sure they're not BritParts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts