RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the LR trailer kit on my 2009 last summer, and the green trailer light is on all the time. I was told that the trailer icon should only light/flash when the directionals are on (like my p38 and Classic). It does shut off the parking sensors as advertised, and all the trailer lights work correctly. It only acts weird when the trucks light switch is in the on or auto mode. Also once in a while when the directional is on I get a fast flash, like it thinks that I have a light out.
It has done this from the start. It was activated/loaded at the dealer after I installed it. I do not have LED lights on the trailer. Tried another known good trailer with same result.
I'm approaching the 1 year mark, and need to make the decision to send it back under warranty if needed. Does this unit sould defective? Someone on the forum said that there's is on all the time (trailer icon). Vendor (LRdirect) says they need to send it to Land Rover for testing prior to replacement. I need to confirm operation as its a $300.00 plus part.
How does everyone else's trail kit function?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My 06 trailer module's dash light is lit all the time if there is a trailer connected to the truck, it is off at all other times. It never flashes with the blinkers. It does turn off the parking sensors with a trailer connected, and disables the EAS system. I installed the module myself, it did not come equipped with one from the factory, or dealer. No software changes were needed it just started working properly when I hooked it up.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
if possible read the installation instructions for the trailer wire kit,
IIRC these kits came with different relays its possible the wrong relay got plugged in at the RR fuse panel
If not look for pinched wires at the trailer plug and inside the tire well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
disables the EAS system
Mark,
When connected, I can still drop the truck to "entry" and back up to normal. I think I read that when connected, it will not raise to "off road" height. Does it seem that mine IS working correctly? And why wouldn't it (dash icon) lite when the light switch is off? I also get the "check trailer" note when I shut the truck off, when the light switch is in auto mode.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'll stick my lamp tester in tonight (truck thinks there's a trailer connected when its in), but I seem to remember that I can't change the height at all from the normal height, and if its in any other position, it will raise or lower to normal as soon as you start the car. My light switch is always in auto so I'll have to run it thru the other positions to see if anything changes on the dash light. I have never seen the check trailer message in the display on the IPC. Maybe you have a bad ground connection. Don't rely on the ball itself to be a ground.

I'm also not saying mine works the way LR intended it to since i installed it, but I can't find a description of how that light is supposed to work, vs how mine actually works.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I installed the LR trailer kit on my 2009 last summer, and the green trailer light is on all the time. I was told that the trailer icon should only light/flash when the directionals are on (like my p38 and Classic). It does shut off the parking sensors as advertised, and all the trailer lights work correctly. It only acts weird when the trucks light switch is in the on or auto mode. Also once in a while when the directional is on I get a fast flash, like it thinks that I have a light out.
It has done this from the start. It was activated/loaded at the dealer after I installed it. I do not have LED lights on the trailer. Tried another known good trailer with same result.
I'm approaching the 1 year mark, and need to make the decision to send it back under warranty if needed. Does this unit sould defective? Someone on the forum said that there's is on all the time (trailer icon). Vendor (LRdirect) says they need to send it to Land Rover for testing prior to replacement. I need to confirm operation as its a $300.00 plus part.
How does everyone else's trail kit function?
Thanks
Mark
my 08 Acts exactly as you describe check lights and all. It seems to be normal.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Put my wiring tester in the 4 pin plug and I get the trailer icon on solid in all headlight positions. The blinker starts out slow but then flashes faster, the rear parking sensors are off, fronts continue to work, but I can still manually change the suspension height both up and down. The tester has LEDs on it as the only load so the fast flashing would appear to be a normal condition for LED tail lights. I have a 7 blade to 5 pin adapter that also had some resistors built into it for trailers with LEDs, I plugged my 4 pin connector into it and in this case everything is the same except the blinkers continue to flash at their normal speed. Again headlight switch position had no affect on whether or not the green trailer icon was on or off. It never flashed. I do get the check trailer message on the info center after maybe 1 or 2 minutes of the adapters being hooked up. I don't remember getting that or being able to change ride height with a real trailer connected. Unfortunately my trailer is buried behind some other cars at the moment and I couldn't get to it easily to hook it up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it seems that my unit is working like everyone else's. Not correctly (check trailer), but working. I may just let it ride. I'm going to contact the vendor, and then make a decision. None of us can find a true description on the web anywhere on how it is supposed to work correctly.
Ill report back.
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts