RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 range rover w/ 140k miles. My wife was driving on the freeway and heard the coolant bell and saw that the rover was overheating. She pulled over and shut it off to cool down. then it wouldn't start again - it would click but not turn over. Then after a few minutes it started again, but ran rough for about a mile. Then she pulled over and we had it towed to my house.

I'm thinking something is pretty cooked - but i saw that the expansion tank is split and water is gushing out. I order a new tank and cap. I started the rover to drive it into my shop from where the tow truck dropped it - it seemed to start fine and idle fine. There dosen't seem to be water in the oil. it's hard to tell if there's much moisture in the exhaust.

I'm wondering if the tank split and then caused the overheating issue or if, say a head gasket blew and then caused the problem with the expansion tank. And then, what are the steps to take once the expansion tank and cap are replaced? Check compression > water pump > Thermostat > head gasket ?

I've been doing all my own work on my rovers, but the ones ive had have been quite a bit simpler -

Thanks -

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
IMO a lot of the expansion tank explosions and failed hose connectors are due to overpressure caused by a bad cap on the expansion tank. I don't think those caps are very good. It does not sound like you have a head gasket issue... how hot did it get before your wife shut it down? Was it just climbing or was it all the way up to the red? If it got to the red, it could have scored the cylinders or something but if it appears to be running fine right now it might be OK? The rough running could have been due to coolant exploding all over the inside of your engine compartment and onto various electronics.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
on your truck there are a few leak areas to monitor.
one is the rear transfer hose , this goes to the firewall and connects to the water bridge.

NOTE this should be replaced every 50K miles or sooner,

Also the rear of each head has a water bridge manifold these gaskets fail and leak.

The Valley pan is also a known fail , look along the base of the intake manifold towards the rear on the V,
use a flashlight if you find white crusty deposits or green puddles then the valley pan seal is done.

NOTE its a good time to swap in a new PVC plate and do an intake refresh and cam cover seals and powder coat the cam covers.

The radiator is a failure point look along the core flanges where the tank meets the core,
white crusty is a leaking area ,
also any hose connections could leak use Dow Corning 111 on every O ring it will keep them soft

1 - 3 of 3 Posts