RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings --

I've had my P38 roughly five (5) weeks and performed my first oil change on it over the weekend. I used a Mann filter (W 930/20, fitment verified on the Mann website), as I have used them for all of my cars and trucks for a decade-ish and have had great success.

After taking the truck off my lift this AM, and letting it warm up before being shut down (I never turn off a cold car), I noticed oil dripping from the filter. It wasn't a huge leak (about the size of a US silver dollar after about 10 minutes or so) but it was very noticeable and steady -- this is not left-over oil from the change. Here are the pictures:

IMG_8190.jpg
IMG_8191.jpg
The possibilities that I can think of are (1) bad filter; (2) bad oil filter housing to block gasket (I had one fail on my E-Type a few years ago); (3) perhaps some grit on the mating surface (that's the "bad mechanic" possibility).

Has anybody had an experience like this? I have never had a bad oil filter out of the box but I suppose it's bound to happen every now and again but fear it's something else. All advice and counsel appreciated.

Regards,

-- Kevin (2006 L322 S/C; 1998 P38 4.0 -- both very recent additions to the fleet; mostly a Jaguar guy (E-Type, Modern S-Type, Modern XJR, no "current" Jags, one Meriden Triumph Trident, etc.)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
768 Posts
Unscrew it and check the rubber seal,, did the rubber come off with the old one ? It’s rare but they have stuck before, 2 seals won’t work very well, I’ve never had a filter leak, hand tight is all they need,,

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Did you dip your finger in oil and coat the new gasket? This does two things, you will feel any flaws and feel any grit. Do the same with the mounting surface. Same thing you will feel any nicks or scratches or grit that has come loose from around the old filter.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both posters for their kind advice.

I checked the old filter and the old rubber gasket was on the old filter -- but good thought.

Before fitting the new filter I did, indeed, coat the rubber gasket with oil (but I used waste oil for the very first time -- I don't think I'll ever do that again as I **might** have picked up a little grit).

As nobody has warned of frequent failures of oil filter housing to block gaskets, I'm going to dismiss that as well.

Upon further reflection, and upon noticing about a dozen quarter-sized drip marks under where the P38 is usually parked nose-in (the leak that I am concerned with was observed with the truck nose out and idling for 10 minutes or more), I think that the leak may be coming from some other place and simply dripping on the oil filter.

Indeed, upon even further reflection, if the oil filter was compromised, and assuming oil pressure at idle is, say 20 PSI, I think there would be a lot more oil. Being a Jaguar man for over 25 years, I've let this "new" and "different" Range Rover intimidate me a bit (well, a LOT) and I think I may have jumped to an erroneous conclusion that the oil filter was involved.

If anybody has any suggestions about places to look for an oil leak that's dripping on the oil filter, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
timing cover gasket, valley pan seals, loose oil cooler lines, defective oil pressure sending unit are some of the few items which may leak in the vicinity of your filter.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Regular suspect is pressure relief valve O ring which is directly above the filter. A real pain to get to unless you remove the wheel arch liner but even then, it's not that easy.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
768 Posts
As mentioned , the 2 things close to it are the cooler pipe,which has an Oring, or the relief valve, again another Oring, if you pop the filter back off you can see them both a lot better,, fingers crossed it’s one of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts